Determining number of dissociated moles from concentration?

In summary, there is no formula to theoretically determine the number of moles of each ion present when a particular concentration of salt is dissociated in water. However, concepts such as the dissociation constant exist and can be applied to calculate equilibrium concentrations. Additionally, the electrical conductivity depends on salinity, with the Kohlrausch law providing a model for calculating the dependency.
H Smith 94
Gold Member
Is there a formula to theoretically determine the number of moles of each ion present when a particular concentration of salt is dissociated in water?

I remember from A-level (high school) chemistry that concepts such as the dissociation constant exist but I'm struggling to apply them to concentration.

I am currently looking at the molar conductivity.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Single formula? No. Theory that allows calculation of equilibrium concentrations? Yes.

Or do you mean just a simple case with something that fully dissociates? Then it is not even a formula, it just a direct application of the concentration definition, c=n/V.

Hi Borek, thank you for your quick response!

Borek said:
Single formula? No. Theory that allows calculation of equilibrium concentrations? Yes.

That sounds interesting and potentially useful. I'll look it up. Could you shed any light on anything you think may be useful?

Borek said:
Or do you mean just a simple case with something that fully dissociates? Then it is not even a formula, it just a direct application of the concentration definition, c=n/V.

So could I assume that NaCl dissociates perfectly in water, resulting in equal concentrations of Na+ and Cl-? Because that would make everything so much nicer. :biggrin:

H Smith 94 said:
That sounds interesting and potentially useful. I'll look it up. Could you shed any light on anything you think may be useful?

Check these pages:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=general-pH-calculation

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=toc

While this is about pH calculation, the ideas behind are the same no matter what ions/species are involved.

H Smith 94 said:
So could I assume that NaCl dissociates perfectly in water, resulting in equal concentrations of Na+ and Cl-? Because that would make everything so much nicer.

For NaCl (and HS level) you can make such an assumption. At the undergraduate level you will be told it is not that simple, at the graduate level you will find details are a nightmare.

Likes H Smith 94
Hi everyone, thank you for your help so far!

Does anyone know how the electrical conductivity ##\sigma## (conversely, resistivity ##\rho##) depends on salinity ##S## -- or more specifically, on the movement of dissolved ions in an electric field? I know they're in some way proportional but cannot find how!

Google Kohlrausch law.

Borek said:
Google Kohlrausch law.
Thank you! Yes, this is a very useful model. I've tried using it previously but found it limited by its semi-empirical nature.

I actually posted a question on this forum about it (which I completely forgot about until just now, oops!) If you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could look at my calculations on that post to see if the assumptions made make chemical sense. :biggrin:

I have no idea why I posted that in the Atomic, Solid State & Comp. forum, no wonder it got no answer!

1. What is the formula for determining the number of dissociated moles from concentration?

The formula is: Number of dissociated moles = Concentration x Volume

2. How do you calculate concentration?

Concentration is calculated by dividing the amount of solute (in moles) by the volume of the solution (in liters).

3. Can you determine the number of dissociated moles if you only have the concentration?

Yes, you can determine the number of dissociated moles if you know the concentration and the volume of the solution.

4. Why is it important to determine the number of dissociated moles from concentration?

Knowing the number of dissociated moles allows us to understand the amount of solute that has dissociated in a solution and can help us determine the overall concentration of the solution.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of dissociated moles besides concentration and volume?

Yes, the temperature, pressure, and type of solute can also affect the number of dissociated moles in a solution.