Electrical Engineering Specialization

In summary: I was just thinking about doing something like that but I didn't know where to start.In summary, based on your experience and background, you should consider specializing in either computer hardware or control systems.
dsb5092
I need to choose which area to specialize in by the end of the month and I need some help.

Here's some background:

3rd year BSEE at Penn State

Did an REU with DSP at Utah State (specifically error correction coding) -- I really enjoyed it but academia is not for me.

Did a 9 month co-op at IBM -- really enjoyed it, had nothing to do with EE though

Accepted an offer to start at Microsoft this May for a 12 week internship I was the only EE the rest were Computer Science majors.

Here are the choices:

COMMUNICATIONS
COMPUTER HARDWARE
CONTROL SYSTEMS
ELECTROMAGNETICS
ELECTRONIC DESIGN
OPTICS
POWER SYSTEMS
REMOTE SENSING AND SPACE SYSTEMS
SEMICONDUCTOR DEVICES
SIGNAL & IMAGE PROCESSING

I originally planned on pursuing Signal and Image processing because I knew I liked it, but I think I would like any of these areas.

I was thinking about just taking the easiest path to graduate and the nwork for a computer company, but I would like to learn one of these areas well.

Now for my question (finally):

Which of these areas would be for the "better jobs"? I know that's really vague, but any insight on what the future looks like for some of these choices would be very helpful.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dsb5092 said:
Which of these areas would be for the "better jobs"? I know that's really vague, but any insight on what the future looks like for some of these choices would be very helpful.
You like signal processing, you're good at signal processing, you have experience at signal processing, and people have taken you on to do signal processing. Why are you even thinking about something else? It's a really good/stable/etc. field, with lots of random jobs in it, and your resume sounds really solid. Nobody has a magic eight ball to which fields will suddenly flounder or go really strong, but signal processing isn't that susceptible to market trends.

So I've been looking for some DSP jobs and all I can find is that there is many of them. The only company I found that are specifically looking for DSP besides Universities is NSA. I've spoken to recruiters from the NSA and it really isn't the kind of work I want to get into.

Any examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dsb5092 said:
So I've been looking for some DSP jobs and all I can find is that there is many of them. The only company I found that are specifically looking for DSP besides Universities is NSA.
http://jobs.ieee.org/careers/jobsearch/results?kAndEntire=digital+signal+processing;searchType=resuts;networkView=main shows Broadcom, Raytheon, Motorola (which translates to all the cell phone companies), and various small communications companies hiring for DSP. And they all probably have more jobs/other DSP type jobs too. This is going to take some flexibility on your part: think of all the industries that use DSP (audio, communications, remote sensing, etc.) then broaden out to the companies in those fields, and then go to their websites and look at the job postings.

Similar thread where someone made a map of DSP jobs

Last edited:
Hey thanks a lot

1. What is electrical engineering specialization?

Electrical engineering specialization is a branch of engineering that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution systems, as well as electronic devices, such as computers and telecommunications equipment.

2. What skills are required for a career in electrical engineering?

Some key skills required for a career in electrical engineering specialization include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in mathematics and physics, attention to detail, and a thorough understanding of electrical and electronic principles. Additionally, excellent communication and teamwork skills are important for working in a collaborative engineering environment.

3. What are some common job roles for electrical engineering specialization graduates?

Graduates with a specialization in electrical engineering can pursue a variety of job roles, including electrical engineer, electronics engineer, power systems engineer, control systems engineer, telecommunications engineer, and many others. They can work in industries such as energy, telecommunications, manufacturing, and transportation.

4. What are some emerging technologies in the field of electrical engineering?

Some emerging technologies in the field of electrical engineering specialization include renewable energy systems, such as solar and wind power, smart grids, electric vehicles, Internet of Things (IoT), and artificial intelligence (AI). These technologies are shaping the future of energy and technology, and electrical engineers are at the forefront of developing and implementing them.

5. What are some important considerations for studying electrical engineering?

Studying electrical engineering specialization requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is also important to have a passion for problem-solving and a curiosity for how things work. Time management and organization skills are also crucial, as the coursework can be demanding and often involves hands-on projects and lab work.