Electric Fields at Points A, B, C, and D: How Do They Compare?

In summary, the electric field at points A, B, C, and D is different. The electric field at point B is greater than the electric field at point D.
cy19861126

Homework Statement

Two very large sheets of charge are separated by a distance d. One sheet has a surface charge density +o and the other a surface charge density -o. A small region near the center of the sheets is shown.
1. Draw arrows on the diagram to indicate the direction of the electric fields at points A, B, C, and D
2. Compare the magnitudes of the electric fields at points A, B, C and D
3. How would the electric force exerted on a charged particle at point A compare to the electric force exerted on the same particle at point B? point C? point D?

Homework Equations

E = F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

1. All pointing to the right
2. B>A=C>D. Electric field is imagining putting +1C of charge; therefore it would repel the + charge and attract to the - charge
3. I have trouble on this question. I think that at points A and C, E-force would be 0 because the electric force from + and - repel. At point B and D, it would be the same because they are equidistant from the electrodes?

Attachments

• TUT 3.bmp
    39 KB · Views: 1,267
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It does not matter where are charge is placed in between the plates. The net force is always the same becuase the electric field is uniform between two parallel plates. If we drop a negative test charge in, the negative plate will repel it, while the positive plate attracts it. Even if its in the middle, it will be repelled by one plate and pulled by the other.

I thought electric field is always putting +1C of charge at the places on the points. Therefore, the closer it is to the positive side, the stronger the electric field, and the faster it would get repelled by the positive charge

Yea, youre right. Its the force experienced by placing a test charge at a point in space. But it seems like your diagram and the way its described would come out to be a uniform electric field. So no matter where the test charge, the force will always be the same.

Sorry, but I am just not getting this. E = k (q/r^2). As you can see, E depends on the distance between the charges acting on it. I know you're definitely right because the book says so, but it really did not explain much into it.

oh okay, i just got it from one of your replies ranger, thanks

1. What is an electrical field?

An electrical field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. This force can either attract or repel the charged particle depending on the sign of the charge.

2. How is an electrical field created?

An electrical field is created by a charged object, such as an electron or a proton. The charged object exerts a force on other charged particles in its vicinity, creating an electrical field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrical fields?

The unit of measurement for electrical fields is volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the strength of the electrical field at a specific point in space.

4. How does distance affect an electrical field?

The strength of an electrical field decreases as the distance from the charged object increases. This is because the force exerted by the charged object on other particles decreases with distance.

5. What is the difference between an electrical field and an electric current?

An electrical field is a force that exists even without the presence of charged particles, while an electric current is the movement of charged particles in response to an electrical field. In other words, an electrical field is the cause, while an electric current is the effect.