1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical force between charges

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    edit: I see that my title is incorrect. This isnt between charges, it is between a charge and a point, sorry about that.

The problem:
    Find the magnitude of the electrostatic force that works on a point 3 meters from q1.

q1=3μC

My attempts:
    Feq1=1/(4πε0)*(q1/r)
    r=3m
    1/(4πε0)=8.988x109

Feq1=8.988x109*(3x10-6/3)=89.9kN

As far as I can tell, this is the way it should be done, but the force seems pretty large... Is there something that I am missing? Or is this actually correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you can start by checking the units in your calculation, in particular Coulomb's constant. Are your formula and calculation dimensionally correct?

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3
    Coulombs constant is N·m²/C², while q1/r would be C/m. So put together that would give me N*m/c... That means that there should be a C²/m², which I know to be q0*q1/r2 but that is between two charges, not the force at a point.

I guess that means that Feq1=1/(4πε0)*(q1/r) isnt an actual equation? Which leaves me confused, because that is what was given to me in someone's notes...

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4
    I spoke with the person I got the notes from, and it should have been r2 in the denominator, which would give me N/C, or the field strength. Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted