Electrical force between two objects

In summary, the problem involves two objects with equal charges connected by a rope, with one object suspended from the ceiling. The goal is to find the distance x between the two objects. The relevant parameters are Coulomb's constant, charge q, rope length L, distance d, and gravitational force mg. Two equations have been found, but the components of the electrical force are still needed to solve the problem.
IAmCurious
I tried to solve the following problem:
There are 2 objects . The object m1 with charge q and the object m2 with charge q.(same charge).The object m2 is connected with a rope to the ceiling.

at the initial state , m1 and m2 were on the same height.
When the object m2 is placed in distance d from the object m1, the following situation occurs:

[url]http://i.stack.imgur.com/KhKjc.png[/url]

Please ignore the force of gravity between the masses and ignore any kind of friction.
just consider the tension , electrical force and mg.

You have to find x.

You can use the parameters k(Coulomb's constant), q , L , d , mg.

I was able to find only 2 equations that would help to solve the problem but one is still missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
IAmCurious said:
I tried to solve the following problem:
There are 2 objects . The object m1 with charge q and the object m2 with charge q.(same charge).The object m2 is connected with a rope to the ceiling.

at the initial state , m1 and m2 were on the same height.
When the object m2 is placed in distance d from the object m1, the following situation occurs:

[url]http://i.stack.imgur.com/KhKjc.png[/url]

Please ignore the force of gravity between the masses and ignore any kind of friction.
just consider the tension , electrical force and mg.

You have to find x.

You can use the parameters k(Coulomb's constant), q , L , d , mg.

I was able to find only 2 equations that would help to solve the problem but one is still missing.

2 equations should be enough. The unknowns are x and the tension in the rope.

I checked my equations and they are not correct. I wasn't able to calculate the components of the electrical force.
Could you please write the equations you have found ?

The equations that I found are :

1) r ^ 2 = (L-Lcos a) ^ 2 + (x+d) ^ 2
(r is the distance between the two objects)

2) sin a = x / L

3) as you can see ΣFx = 0 and ΣFy = 0 (The object m2),
but without the components of the electrical force I wansen't able to calculate anything.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of electrical force?

The electrical force is the attractive or repulsive force between two charged objects. It is caused by the presence of electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

2. How is the electrical force between two objects calculated?

The electrical force between two objects can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

3. How does the distance between two objects affect the electrical force?

The electrical force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the electrical force be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

Yes, the electrical force can be both attractive and repulsive between two objects. This depends on the charges of the objects - like charges (both positive or both negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract each other.

5. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the electrical force?

The magnitude of the charges directly affects the electrical force between two objects. The larger the charges, the greater the force, and vice versa. This means that if the charges are doubled, the force will also double.