1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical vs Electronic engineering difficulty

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    Hi guys, I have completed my first year engineering courses and about to start my second year. I enrolled for computer engineering but have decided to change to either electrical or electronic engineering. So my main question is which is more harder between the two ? I know the main differences is that the electrical guys learn power machines and high voltage systems which I heard involves allot of calculus. Electronic is more about signal processing and smaller circuits. The thing is I love computers which is why I chose computer engineering, but then I felt I needed something more broader. I'm not extremely bad in calculus, I passed with 68% in my first year so rather average

So main question, which is more difficult ?, and is electronic similar to computer engineering ?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Well, goofs in Electrical Engineering tend to be more spectacular...

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Typically, electronic engineering is a lite version of electrical engineering. As such, you may want to browse monster.com to see if it is really an acceptable degree for the types of jobs you are interested in.

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4
    Schools give MSc degrees for Electronic Engineering. The BSc is Electrical Engineering. No matter what you choose, there will be a lot of math. If Math scares you, Engineering is not for you.

6. Feb 10, 2015 #5

analogdesign

Science Advisor

FYI, both signal processing and circuit design are all about the calculus.

7. Feb 20, 2015 #6

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I feel the competition for Electrical Engineering is less because so many EE undergraduates focus on circuits and PCB board design. That is kind of what many universities teach and feel best helps the students. Upon graduation this leaves them in a poor position to interview when they get out and find all types of openings/opportunities in power and they have no real knowledge except how to calculate rudimentary 3 phase power from 2-3 chapters from an introductory EE text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook