Electrical vs. mechanical (engineering)

In summary, a person is deciding between electrical engineering and mechanical engineering as their chosen discipline for their degree. They are interested in both fields equally and are seeking advice on which one may offer better job opportunities, salary, and quality of life. After discussing the small differences in pay and job placement, the person is asked about their specific interests and preferences in terms of working with electricity or hydraulics, switch boards or gear sets, 24 volts or 100 horse power, and changing oil or replacing a factory CD player. It is mentioned that a mechanical engineer may be assigned tasks related to designing physical components and systems, while an electrical engineer may be responsible for designing and programming electrical circuits and controls. It is also noted that both disciplines offer opportunities
Hyperfluxe
Hello,

I just recently transferred to U of Calgary and I have one week left to choose which engineering discipline I want to go into. I've narrowed it down to EE and ME. I think I like both disciplines equally and I have a major interest in both. What do you guys think is the 'better' degree in terms of job opportunities, salary, quality of life, etc.? I will most likely be working in Calgary.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
electrical engineering has a small advantage in pay, small advantage in job placement.

The advantage is so small though that it doesn't warrant a pick over the other.

Let me ask you this...what interests you more?

Electricity or Hydraulics

Switch boards or gear sets?

24 volts? or 100 horse power?

Would you rather change your own oil? or change out a factory cd player in your car?

A mechanicl engineer at my job may get assigned a job such as "design a bracket and hydraulic system to support a ladder lift system"

A electrical engineer at my job would than get assigned. "design a electrical circuit/switches/programmable logic controls to control the ladder lift system"

A mechanical engineer can specialize in dynamic simulation and runs anaylsis at my job to determine if certain things can withstand forces/weight

A electrical engineer can specialize in programming "PLC"...there is a guy at my job who makes it a fulltime job to program our electrical systems.

Likes Chris Santoso

1. What is the main difference between electrical and mechanical engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics, while mechanical engineering focuses on the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems.

2. Which field offers more job opportunities, electrical or mechanical engineering?

Both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities and it ultimately depends on the current demand in the job market. However, electrical engineering jobs are expected to grow at a faster rate due to advancements in technology and the increasing need for renewable energy sources.

3. Can an electrical engineer work in the mechanical engineering field and vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in certain areas, such as control systems, it is not common for an electrical engineer to work in the mechanical engineering field and vice versa. Each field requires specific knowledge and skills that may not be transferable.

4. Which field has a higher earning potential, electrical or mechanical engineering?

Both fields have a high earning potential, but it can vary depending on factors such as location, industry, and experience. Generally, electrical engineers tend to have higher salaries due to the demand for their specialized skills in industries such as technology and renewable energy.

5. Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both fields have their own challenges and it ultimately depends on an individual's strengths and interests. Electrical engineering may involve more complex mathematical concepts, while mechanical engineering may require more hands-on problem-solving skills. Both fields require a strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles.