1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Mechanics vs Mechanical Engineering?

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    I'm primarily interested in engineering mechanics because I like the narrowness of the program to classical mechanics rather than a broad range of subjects including other areas of physics as well.
    My only concern is the job availability. What are the pro's and con's to engineering mechanics and mechanical engineering in terms of job prospects?
    And because engineering mechanics is more theoretical which would mostly lead to research, what are the pro's and con's of research vs industry work?
    And also, is engineering mechanics a dying program, because it is not as popular in comparison to others such as physicists.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2
    Just do mechanical engineering if you're interested in industry - it's all the "other" areas that'll help you get employed with a mechanical engineering degree.

4. May 19, 2012 #3
    what if you want to learn more about mechanics?

5. May 19, 2012 #4
    Then you can go to the library and read a book.

6. May 19, 2012 #5
    what would a researcher aim to do in contrast to an engineer.

7. May 19, 2012 #6
    In industry or academia?

Usually a PhD is a requirement for research roles, but I think you'd be getting away with yourself on planning a PhD before you've even started your undergrad. I think that with your undergrad you should do something that keeps as much doors open as possible and an ordinary mechanical engineering degree does that perfectly.

8. May 19, 2012 #7
    Are there any benefits to doing engineering mechanics instead.

9. May 19, 2012 #8
    are there fields with classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

10. May 20, 2012 #9
    I personally can't see any benefit to doing engineering mechanics instead of a normal engineering degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook