1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity and Magnetism in a veloctiy selector

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
    Lithium-6 ions (mass is 6x a proton mass) are charged Li+ ions (one extra proton). They are accelerated by 2000 volts and passed through a velocity selector with a magnetic field of 0.020T into the page. The ions follow a straight path through the selector and are then deflected onto a piece of film. The velocity selector plates are separated by 5.0cm.

a)the speed of the ions.

This is simple enough. QV=(1/2)mv^2, plug in the mass, charge and voltage and solve for velocity. This gives me 2.5*10^5m/s.

b)Electric field in the velocity selector plates.

QvB=QE, so E=Bv=(2.5*10^5)(0.020)=5.0*10^3N

However, I am off by a factor of ten. The answer is 5.0*10^4. Why is this?

c)Voltage in the velocity selector plates.

I know that the magnetic and electric forces are balanced. The electric force pushes down, the magnetic force pushes up.

For electric force, F=QE, so am I right in saying that F=QV/d?

Then I would get vB=V/d. This was my reasoning, but when I plug in the numbers, I do not get the correct answer. How would I go about solving this one?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2
    Interesting I get the same answer as you do. Is the answer definately correct? If yes we got to wait for someone more experienced!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?