Electricity -- Effect of heating a thermistor in this circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
Kajan thana
Messages
149
Reaction score
18

Homework Statement


The thermistor is heated so that its resistance decreases. State and explain the effect this has on the voltmeter reading in the following positions. A–C

Homework Equations


V=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
I will say that the voltage will increase because if the overall resistance will decrease therefore there is more current flow. As voltage is directly proportional to current, then the voltage will increase also.

^^ I have attached the circuit to this question.
Please HELP. Thank you.
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 18.59.47.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 18.59.47.png
    4 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
When you specify "A-C", are you asking about the potential difference across the upper 20 kΩ resistor?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
Kajan thana said:

Homework Statement


The thermistor is heated so that its resistance decreases. State and explain the effect this has on the voltmeter reading in the following positions. A–C

Homework Equations


V=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
I will say that the voltage will increase because if the overall resistance will decrease therefore there is more current flow. As voltage is directly proportional to current, then the voltage will increase also.

^^ I have attached the circuit to this question.
Please HELP. Thank you.
I don't think your answer is right. The reisistors A-E and B-F are in parallel. If the 12V voltage source is ideal (zero internal resistance), what can you say about the voltage across those parallel sets of resistors?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana and cnh1995
gneill said:
When you specify "A-C", are you asking about the potential difference across the upper 20 kΩ resistor?
yes.
 
berkeman said:
I don't think your answer is right. The reisistors A-E and B-F are in parallel. If the 12V voltage source is ideal (zero internal resistance), what can you say about the voltage across those parallel sets of resistors?
This is the part that I do not understand, all this time I thought that current will change in the whole circuit if the resistance changes where ever it is placed in the ciruit. Then i thought the current is proportional to voltage. so I thought the voltage will also change.

Can you please explain to me where I am going wrong? Thanks.

The actual answer is there will be no change.
 
berkeman said:
I don't think your answer is right. The reisistors A-E and B-F are in parallel. If the 12V voltage source is ideal (zero internal resistance), what can you say about the voltage across those parallel sets of resistors?
I actually understand the fact that it will be 6V in each parallel set due to Voltage Law. My problem is where do we use the proportionality rule: If voltage increase the current also increase?
 
Kajan thana said:
I actually understand the fact that it will be 6V in each parallel set due to Voltage Law. My problem is where do we use the proportionality rule: If voltage increase the current also increase?
No. The 12V source is across both the pairs of resistors. The pair of resistors A-E will have 12V across them, and the pair of resistors B-F will have 12V across them.

If the 12V source is ideal (no internal resistance), then the 12V output does not depend on the current being drawn by the load circuit.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
Kajan thana said:
If the voltage across a resistor increases the current through the resistor also increases
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
Kajan thana said:
I actually understand the fact that it will be 6V in each parallel set due to Voltage Law. My problem is where do we use the proportionality rule: If voltage increase the current also increase?
You are referring to Ohm's law. The voltage involved then is the change in potential across a resistor due to a current flowing through it: V = IR. If there's no resistance along a path then there will be no potential drop due to current flow. In your circuit, the wires are taken to be ideal (no resistance), so there will never be a potential drop between the battery and the branches connected directly to the battery by those wires. That means in this circuit the potential difference (voltage) across both of the branches is fixed at 12 V. To be clear, the potential differences between A and E, and B and F, are both fixed at 12 V by that battery.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
berkeman said:
No. The 12V source is across both the pairs of resistors. The pair of resistors A-E will have 12V across them, and the pair of resistors B-F will have 12V across them.

If the 12V source is ideal (no internal resistance), then the 12V output does not depend on the current being drawn by the load circuit.
Sorry, I meant to say 12V, but this is what I don't understand: If I want to find out the voltage across A-C, then I have to apply V=IR , isn't the current determined from the overall resistance?
 
Kajan thana said:
isn't the current determined from the overall resistance?
It's the "total current supplied by the battery" that is determined by the "overall" resistance.
You need to revise Ohm's law.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
Kajan thana said:
Sorry, I meant to say 12V, but this is what I don't understand: If I want to find out the voltage across A-C, then I have to apply V=IR , isn't the current determined from the overall resistance?
You can look at the total current for that branch alone (Ohm's law for the entire branch), then use that current and Ohm's law on the individual components of the branch.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kajan thana
gneill said:
You can look at the total current for that branch alone (Ohm's law for the entire branch), then use that current and Ohm's law on the individual components of the branch.
Okay. So I substituted some numbers and I realized the ratio the current divide into each branch causes the voltage to remain same. Am I right in some ways?
 
Kajan thana said:
Okay. So I substituted some numbers and I realized the ratio the current divide into each branch causes the voltage to remain same. Am I right in some ways?
You'll need to be more specific about which current and which voltage. I can identify three separate currents flowing in the circuit.