Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity Without the analogies (need expert varification)

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1
    The topic of how electricity actually flows is one of the worst answered most common questions I've seen. Best answer I've seen was here by Gokul43201:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=377359&page=3

I also HATE the "shock-wave" analogy

YET I'm still confused, as I know an electric field cannot propagate inside a conductor, I have read that a conductor is like a medium with infinite permittivity. -> I've seen pictures where the conductor's free charges move to set up an apposing electric field (I think) on the surface.

Crux:
    So I always thought that a conducting wire was a TM mode TL, but I haven't seen any literature supporting my assumption (from Right hand screw rule), hence I believe it to be wrong.
    Am I to conclude that infact the Electric Flux does indeed flow through at least the skin-depth (if AC) of a conductor at near the speed of 'c', because the charges are able to circulate in a loop? (and thus not oppose the E-field)

It seems weird to me that the conductor would go from having what seemed to be infinite permittivity (like an isolated sphere in an E-field), to almost no permittivity, so the E-field sticks inside the conductor and don't leak out, as it often is not a straight line (wires etc).

(or an adoquate distance for high frequencies, in an antenna)

THANKS

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2
    For anyone curious, I think I may have found half the answer to my question here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=154617&page=2
    In that-
    "Now, what is an EXTREME change in charge flux, is when it tries to cross the surface of the conductor: it simply can't. So all charge that wants to flow "outside" of the conductor is accumulated on its surface! And this in such a way, that the E-field is modified UNTIL it is entirely parallel to the conductor surface (because only then, no charge wants to "flow outside" and hence gets accumulated more at the surface)."

Although I still wouldn't mind hearing a "no" about the wire not being a TM mode TL, from someone who knew.

4. Jun 30, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This is true in electrostatics, but a current-carrying wire is not an electrostatic situation.

5. Jun 30, 2014 #4
    Thanks for clearing that up. Is a current carrying wire of a type of mode TL?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook