(Electro)magnetic properties of mylar? If you wrap a laptop in mylar

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter syntotic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laptop Properties
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
syntotic
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Mylar is an insulator, but it is coated with metal. Intuitively it should be possible to wrap a laptop in mylar and insulate the laptop from radio signals... but is there any chance it might affect magnetically the computer and/or its hard drive? I mean a very loose airy wrapping, like in packaging, not a tight wrapping like in gift boxes. After all, we do have capacitors made of mylar...

[Incidentally, I did wrap the laptop in mylar for a while after a wi fi-induced BSOD, and I had briefly (?) the impression that it went lighter! But of course it was subjective...]

Danilo J Bonsignore
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the only physics forum in The Web? HOPE NOT...
 
There's no need to be snide. Threads sometimes fall through the cracks without being answered.

I doubt the mylar would have any effect on your computer's hard drive since it isn't magnetized.