1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Electro)magnetic properties of mylar? If you wrap a laptop in mylar

1. Jul 25, 2014 #1
    Mylar is an insulator, but it is coated with metal. Intuitively it should be possible to wrap a laptop in mylar and insulate the laptop from radio signals... but is there any chance it might affect magnetically the computer and/or its hard drive? I mean a very loose airy wrapping, like in packaging, not a tight wrapping like in gift boxes. After all, we do have capacitors made of mylar...

[Incidentally, I did wrap the laptop in mylar for a while after a wi fi-induced BSOD, and I had briefly (?) the impression that it went lighter! But of course it was subjective...]

Danilo J Bonsignore

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2014 #2
    Is this the only physics forum in The Web? HOPE NOT...

4. Jul 29, 2014 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There's no need to be snide. Threads sometimes fall through the cracks without being answered.

I doubt the mylar would have any effect on your computer's hard drive since it isn't magnetized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook