Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrochemistry : characterizing the electrode-electrolyte

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    Hello guys (and gals),

I have mostly a background in Physics, but I've recently had to get some knowledge on electrochemistry, and more precisely on electrode-electrolyte interface.

From "Modern Electrochemistry 2A : Fundamentals of Electrodics" by Bockris I gathered that in the case of a metallic electrode plunged in an aqueous solution (with ultradilute concentration of inorganic ions) with a DC current, I can pretty much model it with a resistance and capacitor in parallel as an equivalent electrical circuit with the resistor being the interfacial resistance and the capacitor being the EDL capacitance.

From what I gathered, the capacitance of the EDL of a metallic electrode is generally estimated to be around 20µF/cm² in solutions with millimolar to molar concentration of ions with AC current. Can I safely take this value (or this order of magnitude) for my electrode in deionized water and DC or am I missing an important parameter that can change everything ?

Hope I'm making sense :p
    Cheers !

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

μF or pF/cm2?

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3
    µF/cm² for differential capacitance at least

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  5. Aug 24, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

??!!

6. Aug 24, 2016 #5
    Yes, I'm working on streaming current and on the data with deionized water as fluid

7. Aug 24, 2016 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

EDL involves ions and water dipoles, no ions, much less pronounced EDL.

At least that would be my line of thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted