Electrochemistry: reference electrode

In summary, the reduction half reaction is Cu2++2e- -> Cu(s). The conversation discusses using a reference electrode, specifically the calomel electrode, in conjunction with the copper half cell. The correct reactions for the calomel electrode and copper half cell are Cu2++2e- -> Cu(s) and 2Hg+2Cl -> Hg2Cl2+2e-. The cell potential is determined by drawing a potential line and marking the potentials of both half cells, with the cell potential being the distance between them. The question posed is about the correctness of these reactions, with a correction for a typo in the second reaction.
AdityaDev
Reduction half reaction : Cu2++2e- -> Cu(s)
I have a doubt in using the reference electrode.
For example if I have the calomel electrode (ESCE=0.24V) how do I use it with the copper half cell? Are these reactions correct?
Cu2++2e- -> Cu(s)
2Hg+2Cl -> Hg2Cl2+2e-
To get Ecell=0.24+ECu|Cu2+

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Draw a potential line - just like a horizontal axis of the plot.

Mark potentials of both half cells.

Cell potential is the distance between them.

Borek said:
Draw a potential line - just like a horizontal axis of the plot.

Mark potentials of both half cells.

Cell potential is the distance between them.
My question is different. It's about the cell reaction. Not finding the potential from graph.

You have already listed both half cell reactions. If you need a full one, just combine them.

Borek said:
You have already listed both half cell reactions. If you need a full one, just combine them.
My question : Are those reactions correct?
I'll edit the post.

No such thing as Cl in the second reaction, but I guess it is just a typo.

Borek said:
No such thing as Cl in the second reaction, but I guess it is just a typo.
Sorry its cl-

1. What is a reference electrode?

A reference electrode is an electrode with a stable and known potential that is used as a comparison point for measuring the potential of other electrodes in an electrochemical cell.

2. How is a reference electrode different from other electrodes?

A reference electrode is different from other electrodes in an electrochemical cell because it has a stable and known potential, while other electrodes may have varying potentials depending on the chemical reactions occurring at their surface.

3. What are some common types of reference electrodes?

Some common types of reference electrodes include the standard hydrogen electrode, silver/silver chloride electrode, and calomel electrode.

4. How is a reference electrode used in electrochemistry experiments?

A reference electrode is used in electrochemistry experiments as a reference point for measuring the potential of other electrodes. It is typically connected to the solution being studied through a salt bridge or porous material, and its potential is measured against a voltmeter.

5. How is the potential of a reference electrode determined?

The potential of a reference electrode is determined by using a known standard solution and measuring the potential difference between the reference electrode and the standard electrode. This potential difference is then used to calculate the potential of the reference electrode.