Electrodynamics: electrostatic potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct approach for calculating the electric potential in a ring of charge. The first approach involves finding the electric field and then using it to calculate the potential, but this is a more complex method. The second approach, which the group agrees is correct, involves directly calculating the potential using the equation V = (1/4πε0r) ∫λdl. However, it is important to note that this approach only works for finding the potential at the center of the ring, as pulling out the 1/r term from the integral is not possible for other points. The conversation also mentions the importance of properly formatting equations using "tex" brackets.
Angela G
Homework Statement
Consider a circular ring with radius R and uniform longitudinal charge density λ as in the figure at the left, below.

Determine the electrostatic potential in the center of the circle.
Relevant Equations
V = - ∫ E · dl
∇·E
F = qE
Hi!

I tried to solve it by using the equation of the electric potential above and as we see it requires the electric field, but the electric field at the center of the ring is zero. Then I tried by using the equation [text] V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int \lamda dl [\text] and I got [text] V = \frac{\lamda}{2\epsilon_0} [\text]. It feels like i did something wrong, Is my solution right? if not where did I wrong?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2021-09-29 kl. 21.05.22.png
    Skärmavbild 2021-09-29 kl. 21.05.22.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your second approach and result is correct. Why do you feel you did something wrong?

If I tell you to calculate the potential at distance ##R## from the center things get a lot more complex, because the distance of each element ##\lambda dl## of the ring from the point at which we want to calculate the potential, changes as the element changes and the integral cannot be simplified that easily.

BTW if you still can edit your post, put the latex code inside "tex" brackets instead of "text".

Last edited:
Likes Angela G
Angela G said:
I tried to solve it by using the equation of the electric potential above and as we see it requires the electric field, but the electric field at the center of the ring is zero.
You can't calculate the potential from the field at a single point. To calculate the potential at the centre you would first need to calculate the field inside the circle and use ##\vec E = -\vec \nabla V##.

In this case, it must be simpler to calculate the potential directly.

Likes Angela G
PeroK said:
In this case, it must be simpler to calculate the potential directly.
Yes I think that's what she did, though she doesn't write full details of the calculation. I think her result $$V(0)=\frac{\lambda}{2\epsilon_0}$$ is correct, what do you think?

Likes alan123hk
Delta2 said:
Yes I think that's what she did, though she doesn't write full details of the calculation. I think her result $$V(0)=\frac{\lambda}{2\epsilon_0}$$ is correct, what do you think?
Potential is a scalar, and you have a total charge of ##2\pi R \lambda## all a distance ##R## from the centre. So, yes, it's correct.

Likes alan123hk and Delta2
Delta2 said:
I think your second approach and result is correct. Why do you feel you did something wrong?

If I tell you to calculate the potential at distance ##R## from the center things get a lot more complex, because the distance of each element ##\lambda dl## of the ring from the point at which we want to calculate the potential, changes as the element changes and the integral cannot be simplified that easily.

BTW if you still can edit your post, put the latex code inside "tex" brackets instead of "text".
Thank you, I'm not sure on my solution, I think I missed something aboout the field.

Angela G said:
Thank you, I'm not sure on my solution, I think I missed something aboout the field.
Finding the field first and then finding the potential is the hard way of solving this. There are some threads in this forum that deal with this subject of finding the E-field in the interior of a charged ring, it is not so easy task. And you need to know the E-field at every point, not only at the center, to be able to calculate the potential as the line integral ##V=\int \mathbf{E}\cdot d\mathbf{l}##.

Likes Angela G, PeroK and alan123hk
In any case, a general technique is to find the potential first and then calculate the field from that. Again, however, you need the potential in a region so that you can calculate its gradient.

Likes Angela G and Delta2
ok, so using the equ. that I used was right? I mean I used ## V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int \lambda dl ## and got ## V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int \lambda dl = \frac{ \lambda }{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int dl = \frac{ \lambda }{4\pi\epsilon_0r} 2 \pi r = \frac{\lambda}{2\epsilon_0} ## Is it right?

Likes Delta2
Angela G said:
ok, so using the equ. that I used was right? I mean I used ## V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int \lambda dl ## and got ## V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int \lambda dl = \frac{ \lambda }{4\pi\epsilon_0r} \int dl = \frac{ \lambda }{4\pi\epsilon_0r} 2 \pi r = \frac{\lambda}{2\epsilon_0} ## Is it right?
Yes this is correct, just to emphasize one thing, that if we were being asked for the potential at a point other than the center of the ring, then you wouldn't be able to pull the ##\frac{1}{r}## out of the integral, you would have to calculate the integral $$\int\frac{\lambda}{r}dl$$ where ##r## now is the distance of the element ##\lambda dl## from the point at which we want to calculate the potential, and this ##r## varies inside the integral for the different elements ##\lambda dl## around the circumference, so you just can't pull it out of the integral.

Likes Angela G and PeroK
Angela G said:
If you look again at post #5, you'll see that you didn't need to integrate in this case.

Likes Angela G
The general formula for the electrostatic potential (with the only boundary condition being that it vanishes at infinity) is $$V(\vec{r})=\iiint \rho(\vec{r'})\frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|}d^3\vec{r'}$$ so strictly speaking one has always to integrate in order to find the potential. It is just that depending on the charge density ##\rho## and the point ##\vec{r}## in which we wish to evaluate the potential, that integral might simplified a lot, so it would be like doing no integration.

Likes Angela G
ok, I think I understand thank you both for your help :smile::smile:

Likes Delta2 and PeroK

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electrostatic potential related to electric field?

Electrostatic potential is directly related to electric field. The electric field at a point is equal to the negative gradient of the electrostatic potential at that point. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing electrostatic potential.

3. What is the difference between electrostatic potential and electric potential energy?

Electrostatic potential is a property of a point in space, while electric potential energy is a property of a system of charges. The electrostatic potential at a point is the electric potential energy per unit charge at that point.

4. How is electrostatic potential calculated?

Electrostatic potential can be calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point where the potential is being calculated.

5. What is the significance of electrostatic potential in electrodynamics?

Electrostatic potential plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing electric fields and their effects. It helps in calculating the force on a charged particle in an electric field and is also used in various applications such as capacitors, electrostatic precipitators, and particle accelerators.