1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamics - Finding Surface Charge

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a very thin flat plate positioned in the x-z plane. The plate is semi-infinite with an edge running along the z axis. The plate is held at potential V0. Using techniques from teh theory of complex variables a solution is determined to be:

V(x,y) = A/(2)1/2[(x2 + y2)1/2 - x]1/2 + V0

Where A is a constant.

Evaluate an expression for the y component of the electric field. Then carefully take limits for x > 0 and y approaching zero to show that the surface charge on the plate is given by:

s(x) = -A(epsilon0)/(x1/2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked out a few other parts of this problem, but this part has me stumped. I take the derivative of V(x,y) with respect to y and that gives you the electric field for varying y, right? Then you would use Gauss' law, right? I can't seem to work it out though. My work is scanned and attached to this message.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the electric field is given by the negative gradient of the potential;

[tex]\textbf{E}=-\mathbf{\nabla}V=-\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}\hat{\mathbf{i}}-\frac{\partial V}{\partial y}\hat{\mathbf{j}}-\frac{\partial V}{\partial z}\hat{\mathbf{k}}[/tex]

As for determining the surface charge, your text should tell you the boundary conditions on the electric field crossing a surface charge, use those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook