Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolysis calcul with faraday

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1
    Hello felow's my boy of 15 years old asked a question about an exercice at college, he asked me how much electricity it would take to generate electrolysis on a sea surface of 100 feet wide and half a mile long.

I told him (jocking) you may use some kind of nuclear facilities

I thought using Faraday loies could help me but I'm buging, thank you advice in any case

matt's

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and :welcome:

First of all you need a lot of cable :smile: .

But the electrochemical processes do not really depend on the distance between the electrodes: the sea can be supposed to be at zero potential and the processes are driven by potential difference.

If you want to electrolyze a substantial amount of sea water, you need a lot of current and thereby a lot of electrode area.

And the fish won't be all that happy with the chemical products !

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3
    Hello BvU

first thank you for your answer it's nice :) i will tell him about the electrodes first.

so for your what kind of energy are we talking ?maping 100 feet wide and half a mile long of multiple electrode.

Fish may won't be all that happy you right , a good way of fishing lol

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Problem example 2 in this link works it out: 5580 MegaJoule for 1000 kg of Cl2.
    The 100 ft and the half mile don't really come into it - except that you need a lot of area and small distance between cathode and anode to get down to the cells operating at 2 Volt.

So what's the problem formulation for this exercise at college ? Sounds ambitious !

6. Mar 9, 2016 #5
    example 2 look good thank you for the link BvU, yes i think the formulation is wrong somewhere, i will ask the professor

thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted