Electromagnet with high remanence

In summary, the conversation is about finding an electromagnet with high magnetic remanence even when the current is zero. The person is looking for information on such a material and asks about the size and field strength needed. They also suggest combining a permanent magnet with an electromagnet. The person's specific requirement is to vary the current through the electromagnet while maintaining its magnetism after the current is removed. They prefer a smaller size and mention a few millimeters as a suitable size. The conversation also touches on the importance of scale in engineering problems.
ashare
I am in search of an electromagnet which has high magnetic remanence (or retentivity) even when the current through the electromagnet is zero. Can someone provide information about such a material?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which size and field strength are you looking for?
What about combining a permanent magnet with an electromagnet?

At the moment, I don't have a specific number to give you regarding the size and strength. The smaller the better. This electromagnet will be interacting with the field of another permanent magnet which will be attached to another structure. My requirement is to alter the field of the electromagnet by varying the current through it. However, I want the electromagnet to maintain the magnetism even after I remove the electric current.

ashare said:
The smaller the better.
Really? Do you want micrometer-sized electromagnets?

Engineering problems depend on the scale. If you want to do something with a size of a few micrometers, it will look completely different from huge electromagnets with a size of a meter or more. Currently there is no scale given at all.

I understand. I am not looking for a micrometer scale magnet. A few millimiter (10-20 mm) should be good enough.

What is an electromagnet with high remanence?

An electromagnet with high remanence is a type of electromagnet that retains a high level of magnetism even when the external magnetic field is removed. This is due to the use of materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel, in the core of the electromagnet.

How is an electromagnet with high remanence different from a regular electromagnet?

An electromagnet with high remanence differs from a regular electromagnet in that it has a stronger magnetic field and can retain its magnetism for a longer period of time. This makes it more suitable for applications that require a strong and long-lasting magnetic field, such as in electric motors or generators.

What are some common uses for an electromagnet with high remanence?

An electromagnet with high remanence can be used in a variety of applications, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic separators. It is also commonly used in research and development for its strong and persistent magnetic field.

How is the remanence of an electromagnet measured?

The remanence of an electromagnet is typically measured by the strength of its residual magnetic field after the external magnetic field is removed. This can be measured using a gaussmeter, which detects the strength of a magnetic field in units of gauss or tesla.

What are some advantages of using an electromagnet with high remanence?

One advantage of using an electromagnet with high remanence is its ability to produce a strong and persistent magnetic field, which is necessary for many industrial and scientific applications. Additionally, these electromagnets can be turned on and off easily by controlling the electric current, making them more versatile and efficient than permanent magnets.