Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet with high remanence

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    I am in search of an electromagnet which has high magnetic remanence (or retentivity) even when the current through the electromagnet is zero. Can someone provide information about such a material?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which size and field strength are you looking for?
    What about combining a permanent magnet with an electromagnet?

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    At the moment, I don't have a specific number to give you regarding the size and strength. The smaller the better. This electromagnet will be interacting with the field of another permanent magnet which will be attached to another structure. My requirement is to alter the field of the electromagnet by varying the current through it. However, I want the electromagnet to maintain the magnetism even after I remove the electric current.

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Really? Do you want micrometer-sized electromagnets?

Engineering problems depend on the scale. If you want to do something with a size of a few micrometers, it will look completely different from huge electromagnets with a size of a meter or more. Currently there is no scale given at all.

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5
    I understand. I am not looking for a micrometer scale magnet. A few millimiter (10-20 mm) should be good enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook