Electromagnetic decay inside materials.

These are just some potential factors to consider in your solution. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the decay of an electromagnetic wave in a material and the appearance of a metal surface. While it may be difficult to directly relate the two, there are some indirect factors to consider such as the conductivity and surface structure of the material.
Squires
Hey guys, back again for some help if that's okay!

I've derived a formula for an electromagnetic wave entering a material, as [itex]\underline{E}[/itex]e[itex]^{-\frac{x}{\delta}}[/itex]e[itex]^{i(\frac{x}{\delta}- \omega t)}[/itex]

x=direction of propagation
t=time
[itex]\delta[/itex]=skin depth

As you can see this describes the wave propagating into the x direction, but also decaying.

My question asks to relate this decay inside a metal to the appearance of the metal surface, when the metal is smooth.

My attempt at this solution is that the decay will be greater, as the skin depth is larger.

Then the skin depth increases as the conductivity of the material decreases.

But then I'm stumped. I looked online for things such as, are higher conducting materials shinier than lower conducting materials? Or is this just too vague of an approach would you think? And is it even correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be much appreciated!It's difficult to directly relate the decay of an electromagnetic wave to the appearance of a metal surface. The skin depth is related to the conductivity of the material, but not necessarily the appearance. However, there are some indirect relationships that you can consider. For example, higher conductivity materials may be more reflective, and thus appear shinier than lower conductivity materials. It's also possible that higher conductivity materials may have a smoother surface structure which can increase reflectivity and make them appear shinier.

1. What is electromagnetic decay inside materials?

Electromagnetic decay inside materials is the process by which energy stored in the form of electromagnetic waves is gradually dissipated and lost as heat within a material. This decay can occur due to various factors such as resistance, impurities, and defects within the material.

2. How does electromagnetic decay affect the properties of materials?

Electromagnetic decay can significantly impact the properties of materials. It can lead to changes in conductivity, dielectric constant, and magnetic permeability, which can affect the overall performance and functionality of the material.

3. What factors influence the rate of electromagnetic decay?

The rate of electromagnetic decay depends on several factors, including the type of material, its composition, structure, and the frequency of the electromagnetic waves. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to radiation can also affect the decay rate.

4. Can electromagnetic decay be controlled or prevented?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate electromagnetic decay, it can be controlled and reduced by using materials with lower resistivity, minimizing impurities and defects, and optimizing the design and structure of the material. Additionally, protective coatings or barriers can also help prevent decay in certain cases.

5. How is electromagnetic decay measured and studied?

Electromagnetic decay can be studied through various techniques such as spectroscopy, impedance measurements, and thermal analysis. These methods allow scientists to analyze the decay rate, as well as the factors that contribute to it, and make observations about the behavior of materials under different conditions.