1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction and rectangular loop

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1
    the question is that:
    A rectangular loop with width L and a slide wire with mass m are as shown in Fig. A uniform magnetic field [itex]\vec B[/itex] is directed perpendicular to the plane of the loop into the plane of the figure. The slide wire is given an initial speed of [itex]v_0[/itex] and then released. There is no friction between the slide wire and the loop, and the resistance of the loop is negligiblein comparison to the resistance R of the slide wire. a) Obtain an expression for F, the magnitude of the force exerted on the wire while it is moving at speed v. b). Show that the distance x that the wire moves before coming to rest is [itex] \frac{m v_0 R}{a^2 B^2}[/itex]

i have done part a ,
    the ans. is [itex] \frac{B^2 L^2 v}{R}[/itex]
    but for part b ,
    i can just calculate half of the value of x mentioned in the question.
    i did it in this way

subt. F from a to [itex]F=ma[/itex] to find the acceleration
    then subt. the ans. to
    [itex]v^2=u^2+2as[/itex] by taking v=0 and u=v.
    is there any mistake?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have a force that is proportional to the velocity. As the wire slows, the force diminishes. You cannot use the initial acceleration as a constant.
  4. Oct 24, 2006 #3
    then , what should i do , can u give me some hints?
  5. Oct 24, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

F = ma = mdv/dt = m(dv/dx)(dx/dt) = mvdv/dx

You can separate variables and integrate.
  6. Oct 24, 2006 #5
    thx so much~
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?