1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic induction-help with a problem

1. Aug 7, 2006 #1
    "A metal rod 20 cm long moves in a straight line at a speed of 4.0 m/s with its length parallel to a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T. Find the resulting potential difference between the ends of the rod."

I don't know how to solve this...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2006 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Did you learn the induced potential equation? (Blv)
    also, I'm not sure that I understand the case, the length of the rod is moving through the field and the field is going from one end of the rod to the other? In that case there would be no induction, for there to be induction there has to be a field that makes a right angle with the length of the rod.

4. Aug 8, 2006 #3
    I mainly learned about loops of wire, not rods...what exactly is a rod? I thought that it's a cylinder...

Oh, is this refering to the metal rod that moves on a metal frame so that the area inside the loop of the frame changes? My book has one example of that, and the equation is emf = -BLv.

If that's the case, then since the flux doesn't change because the field is parallel, then the induced emf is 0.

5. Aug 8, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A rod is basically a thin cylinder, that is a cylinder with a length but no radius. This page may be useful for you... http://www.iop.org/Our_Activities/S...hysics/Fields/Electromagnetism/page_4817.html
    Your equation is correct by the way but your conclusions are not :smile:

6. Aug 8, 2006 #5
    I found out that the answer is 0... but since my conclusions are wrong, I don't know how this answer has been derived. :confused:

7. Aug 8, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh my apologies, your conclusion is correct I didn't see the 'parallel' bit :blushing:

8. Aug 8, 2006 #7
    Oh Okay, thanks for the help anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?