Electromagnetic induction-help with a problem

  • Thread starter endeavor
  • Start date
  • #1
endeavor
176
0
"A metal rod 20 cm long moves in a straight line at a speed of 4.0 m/s with its length parallel to a uniform magnetic field of 1.2 T. Find the resulting potential difference between the ends of the rod."

I don't know how to solve this...
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
868
0
Did you learn the induced potential equation? (Blv)
also, I'm not sure that I understand the case, the length of the rod is moving through the field and the field is going from one end of the rod to the other? In that case there would be no induction, for there to be induction there has to be a field that makes a right angle with the length of the rod.
 
  • #3
endeavor
176
0
I mainly learned about loops of wire, not rods...what exactly is a rod? I thought that it's a cylinder...

Oh, is this refering to the metal rod that moves on a metal frame so that the area inside the loop of the frame changes? My book has one example of that, and the equation is emf = -BLv.

If that's the case, then since the flux doesn't change because the field is parallel, then the induced emf is 0.
 
  • #4
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
9,624
8
endeavor said:
I mainly learned about loops of wire, not rods...what exactly is a rod? I thought that it's a cylinder...

Oh, is this refering to the metal rod that moves on a metal frame so that the area inside the loop of the frame changes? My book has one example of that, and the equation is emf = -BLv.

If that's the case, then since the flux doesn't change because the field is parallel, then the induced emf is 0.
A rod is basically a thin cylinder, that is a cylinder with a length but no radius. This page may be useful for you... http://www.iop.org/Our_Activities/Schools_and_Colleges/Teaching_Resources/Teaching%20Advanced%20Physics/Fields/Electromagnetism/page_4817.html [Broken]
Your equation is correct by the way but your conclusions are not :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5
endeavor
176
0
Hootenanny said:
Your equation is correct by the way but your conclusions are not :smile:
I found out that the answer is 0... but since my conclusions are wrong, I don't know how this answer has been derived. :confused:
 
  • #6
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
9,624
8
endeavor said:
I found out that the answer is 0... but since my conclusions are wrong, I don't know how this answer has been derived. :confused:
Ahh my apologies, your conclusion is correct I didn't see the 'parallel' bit :blushing:
 
  • #7
endeavor
176
0
Hootenanny said:
Ahh my apologies, your conclusion is correct I didn't see the 'parallel' bit :blushing:
Oh Okay, thanks for the help anyway.
 

Suggested for: Electromagnetic induction-help with a problem

  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
889
  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
281
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
265
Replies
6
Views
408
Replies
7
Views
295
  • Last Post
Replies
1
Views
465
Replies
9
Views
680
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
421
Top