Electromagnetic Induction -- Insane Idea

• Thread starter TateTheL
  • Start date

Summary:

TL;DNR Can you use electromagnetic induction to transfer a current?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Would you be able to transfer a "current" through rings of conductive and paramagnetic material? As in, have a current, which causes a magnetic field to pop up in the ring, which fluxes, and causes the next ring to have a current? I am curious because this is a research project for FLL. (There is a Google Slide about this here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NdZSpfF1-KipGwkUAFQF_pXIWMrhbDarV0AUFyF-sw0/edit?usp=sharing)

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Your link requires permission. Why do you put current in quotes? Are you asking about transformers?

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to the PF.
this is a research project for FLL
What's FLL?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Welcome to the PF.

What's FLL?
Yeah, I don't think he's talking about the Broward County Airport (Florida) :smile:

Joshy
Gold Member
I'm curious to know what FLL is too, and I'd like to know what's insane about this.

I once had lots of fun ideas about coupled lines. There's always a caveat: They are often imperfect and lossy, and this creates huge limitations.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Well, TL:DNR means Too Late: Do Not Resuscitate

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
@TateTheL you obviously are not going get any answers unless you clarify your question.

Your link requires permission. Why do you put current in quotes? Are you asking about transformers?
Current is in quotes because it wouldn't be just a current, it would theoretically be switching from magnetic field to current and back, so its like a current, but not actually a continuous current.

Welcome to the PF.

What's FLL?
FLL is First Lego League, an international robotics competition that also has a research project. This year, the topic is "problems in cities", so we researched them and tried to make a solution

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Current is in quotes because it wouldn't be just a current, it would theoretically be switching from magnetic field to current and back.
Yes, that's how it works to cause current in one object to induce current in anther object, there's a moving magnetic field between the two, so your caveat is unnecessary (but I now understand why you thought it was needed).

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
FLL is First Lego League, an international robotics competition that also has a research project. This year, the topic is "problems in cities", so we researched them and tried to make a solution
And what does your still not very well described device have to do with solutions for cities? I don't mean that I doubt that there IS one, just that you have not given us any information. What is it that you are trying to do?

Just so you know, when it starts to feel like pulling teeth to get information from someone asking a question, people lose interest pretty quickly.

Are you talking about inductive coupling for wireless charging or power transfer?

Cheers

tech99
Gold Member
It is very interesting because it is an unusual transmission line. But we need a bit more, as people have asked.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Maybe if you pass an AC current through a wire loop that passes through an iron chain link, a magnetic field will be induced in the first chain link. That first link will then induce a current in the next link, and so on up the chain. A light globe hanging from odd links will light, but from even links will not.

Surrounding two linked links with a separate link will generate a current and a flux in every link of the chain. Then a light would light when hanging from any link.

But the losses will be very high unless you can make links with the optimum magnetic characteristics. I do not know how to make those dual function transforming links.

Kind of metamaterial, then.
Sure, you can. The efficiency, however, is a very different question: together with the wavelength/frequency and such.

Fresh, emerging area of research: nice to post but not likely to get useful answers :sorry: