Why does electromagnetic induction occur

In summary, electromagnetic induction occurs when a magnetic field and an electric conductor move relative to one another, causing the conductor to cross lines of force in the magnetic field. This is due to a changing magnetic field creating an electric field, which produces an EMF and moves electrons to form a current. The current produced can be increased by factors such as the speed of movement, number of turns in the coil, and strength of the magnet. However, the impedance of the circuit also plays a role in determining the current. In certain cases, such as in a bicycle generator, the inductance of the loop can cause the current to remain constant despite changes in speed.
tor2006
Greeting

I know the field of electromagnetism is not yet fully clarified but I wonder if there is an idea,theory Why does electromagnetic induction occur only when the conductor cuts the magnetic field lines.
MHtdP.gif

Engineering news on Phys.org
tor2006 said:
I know the field of electromagnetism is not yet fully clarified
Classical electromagnetism is perfectly well understood in terms of Maxwell's equations. These are over 150 years old.

tor2006 said:
Why does electromagnetic induction occur only when the conductor cuts the magnetic field lines.
The magnetic force on a charge depends on its sign, velocity, and the magnetic field it moves through. The force on an individual charge will be perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the conductor. In order for there to be a driving force in the conductor's direction, both the velocity and the magnetic field must have components perpendicular to the conductor's direction and cannot be parallel. As a result, the conductor will need to cut the magnetic field lines to produce a driving emf.

Likes Asymptotic, davenn and NFuller
tor2006 said:
Why does electromagnetic induction occur only when the conductor cuts the magnetic field lines.
Using your figure as an example, where would the electrical energy come from if there were found to be induced current and voltage in even the stationary case?

tor2006 said:
Greeting

I know the field of electromagnetism is not yet fully clarified but I wonder if there is an idea,theory Why does electromagnetic induction occur only when the conductor cuts the magnetic field lines. View attachment 212528
It occurs whenever a magnetic field and an electric conductor move relative to one another so the conductor crosses lines of force in the magnetic field. The current produced by electromagnetic induction is greater when the magnet or coil moves faster, the coil has more turns, or the magnet is stronger.

tor2006 said:
Greeting

I know the field of electromagnetism is not yet fully clarified but I wonder if there is an idea,theory Why does electromagnetic induction occur only when the conductor cuts the magnetic field lines. View attachment 212528
People have said what happens but not why.
It is an interesting question, because stationary electrons are not attracted by a magnet.
But Maxwell says that a changing magnetic field creates an electric field. This creates an EMF across the ends of the wire, and so moves electrons which form the current.
It does this because it does this!

adaliadella said:
The current produced by electromagnetic induction is greater when the magnet or coil moves faster, the coil has more turns, or the magnet is stronger.
Usually I am not pedantic, but EM induction induces a voltage (emf precisely) in the conductor. So it's the voltage that is greater when, as you said, the magnet or coil moves faster, the coil has more turns, or the magnet is stronger (irrespective of the circuit resistance).

Current simply depends on the impedance of the circuit.

Likes davenn
cnh1995 said:
Usually I am not pedantic, but EM induction induces a voltage (emf precisely) in the conductor. So it's the voltage that is greater when, as you said, the magnet or coil moves faster, the coil has more turns, or the magnet is stronger (irrespective of the circuit resistance).

Splitting hairs. When a time varying magnetic field is present, current & voltage are both induced. Regarding impedance of the circuit, we must include the inductance of the loop. If the inductive reactance exceeds load impedance, the load current & voltage remain near constant despite speed increasing.
Bicycle generators use this principle. Generator wound so that stator inductance is large. As pedal speed increases, headlight gets brighter. But frequency increases with speed, & stator reactance increases. Once stator reactance Xs, exceeds loiad resistance Rl, increases in pedal speed have little effect on headlight brightness. Generator is in constant current mode. Increasing speed produces increased frequency, which increases voltage dropped across Xs, resulting in c onstant current & voltage in headlight.
cnh1995 said:

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which an electric current is generated in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. Why does electromagnetic induction occur?

Electromagnetic induction occurs because of the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the conductor. When the conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, the electrons experience a force that causes them to move and generate an electric current.

3. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic induction?

The strength of electromagnetic induction is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the changing magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the conductivity of the material used.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, electric motors, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging technology and in the production of electricity from renewable sources like wind and hydro power.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to Faraday's law?

Faraday's law of induction states that the magnitude of the induced current is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field. This means that the faster the magnetic field changes, the greater the induced current will be. This is the basic principle behind electromagnetic induction.