Electromagnetic induction inside a field with a contraint

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of generating current in a closed loop held stationary in a magnetic field between the north and south poles of two fixed permanent magnets. The person asks if it is possible to alter the net magnetic field by moving one of the magnets, but it is clarified that both magnets are fixed. It is concluded that current cannot be generated in the loop in this scenario.
caspernorth
1. A closed loop is held stationary in the magnetic field between the north and south poles of two permanent magnets held fixed. Can we hope to generate current in the loop by using very strong magnets?

well, my doubt is: as magnetic field is a vector and since we have two pairs [one movable pair] we can alter the net field, right? [by holding in different positions] and thereby change the flux?
anyway the answer is no and I believe I didn't get the concept right!

Physics news on Phys.org
caspernorth said:
1. A closed loop is held stationary in the magnetic field between the north and south poles of two permanent magnets held fixed. Can we hope to generate current in the loop by using very strong magnets?

well, my doubt is: as magnetic field is a vector and since we have two pairs [one movable pair] we can alter the net field, right? [by holding in different positions] and thereby change the flux?
anyway the answer is no and I believe I didn't get the concept right!

It says both magnets are fixed. How do you jump to the conclusion that one of them is moveable?

rude man said:
It says both magnets are fixed. How do you jump to the conclusion that one of them is moveable?

oh, sorry I meant to ask if one was movable can we make a change.

caspernorth said:
oh, sorry I meant to ask if one was movable can we make a change.

Yes, if one or both were moveable then you could get current in the loop.
But they're not, are they.

rude man said:
Yes, if one or both were moveable then you could get current in the loop.
But they're not, are they.

you are rude, but thanks for the help

What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it.

How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by Faraday's law of induction, which states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, a voltage is induced in the conductor that causes an electric current to flow.

What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic induction involves the production of an electric current in a conductor, while electromagnetic radiation is the emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves, such as light or radio waves.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including power generation in generators, transformers, and motors, as well as in devices like induction cooktops and wireless charging.

What are some challenges or limitations of electromagnetic induction?

One challenge of electromagnetic induction is the loss of energy due to resistance in the conducting material. There may also be limitations in the strength of the magnetic field or the speed of movement required for efficient induction.