Electromagnetic Radiation and Magnetic Waves

• Thread starter Kbs13
  • Start date
Hi,

First post on these forums, but I've lurked a bit in the past. I'm doing a project on the Faraday Cage, and I have a quick question...

I was wondering why a Faraday Cage can block electromagnetic radiation like a radio wave (which, as far as I can tell, is a "mix" of a magnetic field and an electric field), but it cannot block a magnetic field.

I'm hoping I worded this correctly because I just started learning about Faraday Cages all-day yesterday :P

Answers and Replies

I know you guys haven't answered my first question, but rather than start a new topic, I'll just add it onto this topic. Hopefully double posting isn't a big deal on these forums :X

Anyways, what's the relationship between the mesh used on a Faraday Cage and the wavelengths of the waves hitting the cage? I thought the mesh just had to have smaller openings than the wavelengths of the waves hitting it, but I'm not too sure now.

A true faraday cage blocks all fields electric and magnetic including DC magnetic fields. But you have to build it out of perfect conductors. Real conductors can be penetrated by low frequency fields, meshes by high frequency fields.

Alright, that answers one of my questions, thanks :)

Still looking for an answer to the other one though :redface:

Wavelengths of the order of the holes in the mesh begin to penetrate.