Electromagnetic waves radiating away from a transmitting tower

In summary, a radio station on Earth with an average total power of 50 kw is assumed to radiate equally in all directions above the ground. At a distance of 100 km, the intensity per surface unity can be found by dividing the power by the half sphere. This can also be calculated using the equation I=cε0E2 and solving for Emax. To find Bmax, Emax can be divided by c. However, in order to get the average intensity, S must be divided by 2. This leads to the correct result for the average intensity.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
A radio station on the surface of the earth radiates a sinusoidal wave with an average total power of 50 kw. Assuming that the transmitter radiates equally in all the directions above the ground, at a distance of 100 km from the antenna (ε0 = 8.85 10-12 C2N-1m-2)
Relevant Equations
electromagnetic waves
Homework Statement: A radio station on the surface of the Earth radiates a sinusoidal wave with an average total power of 50 kw. Assuming that the transmitter radiates equally in all the directions above the ground, at a distance of 100 km from the antenna (ε0 = 8.85 10-12 C2N-1m-2)
Homework Equations: electromagnetic waves

I divide the power by the half sphere
50000/(4πr2/2)
In such way i get the intensity per surface unity right?
which is also equal to
I=cε0E2
Now, from this equation i solve for E if i want to get Emax right ?
In case i need Bmax i divide Emax by c
Is there any error ? because can't get the right result

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
I divide the power by the half sphere
50000m/((4πr2)/2)
In such way i get the intensity per surface unity right?
That's the right approach (but I don't know what the "m" is for in your expression).
DottZakapa said:
which is also equal to
I=cε0E2
Where did you get that equation?

Doc Al said:
That's the right approach (but I don't know what the "m" is for in your expression).

Where did you get that equation?
that equation comes from:

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 20.26.43.png
total energy density

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 20.27.07.png
relation between E and B

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 20.27.15.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 20.28.10.png
energy flow per unit area per unit time

But i realized that this leads to instantaneous intensity, in order to get the average intensity , S must be divided by 2.
Doing so you get the average intensity,

Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 20.39.21.png

which leads to the correct result.
Thanks 👍 very kind.

DottZakapa said:
But i realized that this leads to instantaneous intensity, in order to get the average intensity , S must be divided by 2.
Exactly. Good work!

Likes DottZakapa

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created when an electric field and a magnetic field interact. They are also known as "radiation" and can travel through empty space.

2. How are electromagnetic waves created by a transmitting tower?

Electromagnetic waves are created by an alternating current flowing through the transmitting tower's antenna. As the current flows back and forth, it creates electric and magnetic fields that combine to form electromagnetic waves.

3. How do electromagnetic waves travel away from a transmitting tower?

Electromagnetic waves travel away from a transmitting tower in all directions at the speed of light. This means that they can travel through air, water, and even some solid materials.

4. What are the potential health effects of being exposed to electromagnetic waves from a transmitting tower?

There is currently no evidence that exposure to electromagnetic waves from a transmitting tower poses a health risk to humans. However, prolonged exposure to very high levels of electromagnetic waves may cause thermal effects, such as heating of body tissues.

5. How far can electromagnetic waves from a transmitting tower travel?

The distance that electromagnetic waves can travel from a transmitting tower depends on various factors such as the frequency of the waves, the height of the tower, and any obstructions in the way. Generally, higher frequency waves can travel shorter distances compared to lower frequency waves.