1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic repulsion force

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinitesimally small bar magnet of dipole moment ##\vec{M}## is pointing and moving with the speed v in the x direction. A small closed circular conducting loop of radius a and negligible self inductance lies in the y-z plane with its centre at x = 0, and its axis coinciding with the x axis. Find the force opposing the motion of the magnet, if the resistance of the loop is R. Assume that the distance x of the magnet from the centre of the loop is much greater than a.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Magnetic field due to the magnet of dipole moment ##\vec{M}## on its axis at a distance x (i.e. at the centre of the ring) = ##B = \dfrac{2μ_0M}{4πx^3} = \dfrac{μ_0M}{2πx^3}##

##φ_{ring} = B.A = \dfrac{μ_0M}{2πx^3}.πa^2 = \dfrac{μ_0Ma^2}{2x^3}##

##|ε| = \dfrac{dφ}{dt} = \dfrac{3μ_0Ma^2v}{2x^4}##

##i## (flowing in ring) = ## \dfrac{3μ_0Ma^2v}{2x^4R}##

After this, I'm confused.
    My attempt:
    ## F = ilB = \dfrac{3μ_0Ma^2v}{2x^4R}.2a.\dfrac{μ_0M}{2πx^3}##

## F = \dfrac{3μ_0M^2a^3v}{2x^7Rπ}##

This answer is wrong. It is surely due to me having taken l = 2a. Usually, when we consider arbitrarily shaped conductors in a uniform magnetic field (it is uniform on the ring as x>>a), the force, i.e.
    ##\vec{F} = \int I \vec{dL} × \vec{B} = I \vec{L} × \vec{B}## where ##\vec{L}## is the length vector joining initial and final points of the conductor. Now, in case of a circular loop, this should've been zero. But that is clearly wrong as there is some force due to lenz's law. I believe it is wrong because the lorentz force equation can't be applied to currents induced due to the magnetic field. It can only be used when we have a current carrying conductor placed in an external magnetic field (I think). In any case, I'm not sure what to do. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think your expression for the current looks good. If you approximate the magnetic field as purely in the x direction at the loop, would there be any net magnetic force on the loop? Consider the direction of the magnetic force on a small element of length of the loop if the B field has only an x component.

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    Zero, because magnetic force on a coil of wire is always zero in a uniform magnetic field?

5. May 7, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. For the force calculation, you'll need to take into account that B is not actually uniform.

6. May 7, 2016 #5
    How do I start?

7. May 7, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted