Electromagnetic wave... How is it getting transmitted?

In summary: However, its strength diminishes with distance, meaning that at a certain point, its effects become negligible. In the case of the sun, its electric field extends for the distance that its light can reach, but beyond that, its effects are very small.
jijopaul
I've heard that em wave consists of mutually perpendicular electric & magnetic oscillations.

Imagine that I've a unit charge at any point in space. Associated with this charge, there exists an electric field which diminishes with distance from the charge. If we set forth an oscillation in this field, it can get transmitted. But since the field strength is getting diminished wrt distance, How can the oscillation get transmitted indefinitely?

Physics news on Phys.org
The radiated wave does get weaker as it propagates away from its source. For your case, the electric and magnetic fields both off as ##\frac{1}{R}##, so the power density falls off as ##\frac{1}{R^2}##. Here ##R## is the distance from your oscillating charge to the point at which you are observing the wave.

jason

As a follow up question, can an EM wave be considered a form of perpetual energy? I 'know' instinctively that this cannot be true, but I don't know why.

jasonRF said:
The radiated wave does get weaker as it propagates away from its source. For your case, the electric and magnetic fields both off as ##\frac{1}{R}##, so the power density falls off as ##\frac{1}{R^2}##. Here ##R## is the distance from your oscillating charge to the point at which you are observing the wave.

jason
For how much length the electric field of a unit charge exist?
Light reaches from sun to Earth after traveling that much distance. You mean to say that the electric field of the sun extends up to the distances where its light can reach?

Burnerjack said:
As a follow up question, can an EM wave be considered a form of perpetual energy? I 'know' instinctively that this cannot be true, but I don't know why.

Sure. Until the EM wave interacts with something, it will always have some amount of energy. The phrase 'perpetual energy' is mostly meaningless though. Energy is conserved, so it never disappears, but just gets transferred around and changes form. This is in contrast to a 'Perpetual Motion Machine'. A machine is basically a device that moves energy around. Adding 'perpetual motion' implies that the machine can run forever, performing work without expending energy. This is impossible.

jijopaul said:
For how much length the electric field of a unit charge exist?
Light reaches from sun to Earth after traveling that much distance. You mean to say that the electric field of the sun extends up to the distances where its light can reach?

The EM field from any object extends to infinity.

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. These waves are characterized by their wavelength and frequency, and include visible light, radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays.

2. How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when charged particles accelerate. This acceleration causes electric and magnetic fields to oscillate, creating waves that travel through space at the speed of light.

3. How are electromagnetic waves transmitted?

Electromagnetic waves are transmitted through a medium, such as air or a vacuum. They can also be transmitted through solid materials, like glass fibers, as in the case of fiber optic cables.

4. What is the role of frequency in electromagnetic waves?

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave determines its energy and the type of wave it is. Higher frequencies correspond to higher energy and shorter wavelengths, while lower frequencies have lower energy and longer wavelengths.

5. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can interact with matter in different ways, depending on the properties of the material and the frequency of the wave. For example, some materials can absorb certain frequencies of electromagnetic waves, while others may reflect or scatter them.