1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetics-general questions

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    I am trying to make an electromagnet with the strongest possible magnetic field, I am familiar with the formulas and (most of) the forces at work and how they relate to each other, but I am left with a few questions. First, I considered the possibility of adding some permanent magnets to my electromagnet to increase the overall field strength--I can't see anything wrong with this in theory, but I could be issing something. The other thing I have been wondering about is the type of wire I am using--I would love any suggestions on what type is the best. Mainly what I'm wondering is how the insulation affects the magnetic field. I imagine it must diminish the strength somehow, but how significant is the difference. Any help and advice anyone could offer wounld be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2
    Once your core material is 'magnetically saturated' the increase in magnetic flux with increase of current begins to behave as that of air. adding permanent magnets will mean that less ( or more depending upon the orientaion of the core in relation the the magnetic field produced by the current ) current will needed to produce the same flux as a core that is not a permanent magnet.

The more densely wound the wire, the better it is to constain all the flux lines within the core. A thinner insulation is preferable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook