Electromagnetics-general questions

• Thread starter rbaca170
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of an electromagnet with the strongest possible magnetic field. The speaker is familiar with the formulas and forces involved, but has a few questions. They consider adding permanent magnets to increase the field strength and ask for suggestions on the best type of wire to use. They also wonder about the impact of insulation on the magnetic field. The conversation concludes with advice on using a core that is "magnetically saturated" and using thinner insulation for better results.
rbaca170
I am trying to make an electromagnet with the strongest possible magnetic field, I am familiar with the formulas and (most of) the forces at work and how they relate to each other, but I am left with a few questions. First, I considered the possibility of adding some permanent magnets to my electromagnet to increase the overall field strength--I can't see anything wrong with this in theory, but I could be issing something. The other thing I have been wondering about is the type of wire I am using--I would love any suggestions on what type is the best. Mainly what I'm wondering is how the insulation affects the magnetic field. I imagine it must diminish the strength somehow, but how significant is the difference. Any help and advice anyone could offer wounld be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Once your core material is 'magnetically saturated' the increase in magnetic flux with increase of current begins to behave as that of air. adding permanent magnets will mean that less ( or more depending upon the orientaion of the core in relation the the magnetic field produced by the current ) current will needed to produce the same flux as a core that is not a permanent magnet.

The more densely wound the wire, the better it is to constain all the flux lines within the core. A thinner insulation is preferable.

1. What is electromagnetics?

Electromagnetics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the electromagnetic force, which is a fundamental force of nature that governs the interactions between electrically charged particles. It encompasses the study of both electric and magnetic fields, as well as their effects on each other and on charged particles.

2. How does electromagnetism work?

Electromagnetism works through the exchange of electromagnetic waves, which are created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. These waves can travel through space and interact with charged particles, producing forces and resulting in various phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

3. What are some practical applications of electromagnetics?

Electromagnetics has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include electricity generation and transmission, telecommunications, medical imaging, radio and television broadcasting, and various electronic devices such as computers and smartphones. It also plays a crucial role in many industrial and scientific processes, such as welding, metal cutting, and materials testing.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related and are often considered as different aspects of the same force - electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby wire. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations and forms the basis of many technological applications.

5. How does electromagnetism relate to other branches of physics?

Electromagnetism is closely related to other branches of physics, such as classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. It is also an essential component of the standard model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces of nature. Electromagnetic principles also play a significant role in the study of optics, the behavior of light, and the properties of matter.