Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism and theoretical shape of a photon

Tags:
  1. Sep 14, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I have a few questions and a few thoughts

I think I understand that according to einsteins theory of relativity, wavelengths can be perceived differently when travelling at different velocities comparatively to when it was emitted. i.e. if something travelling close to the speed of light were to emit light, it would still only be able to travel at the speed of light, but space would expand and time would shrink to accomodate for this. this would be gamma rays if perceived by something stationary? similarly, something with little velocity shining a light - which is then picked up by something accelerating very fast away from it - the EM could be percieved as radio waves due to it being elongated when received?

As per my attached drawings, if EM were a rip running along space-time at the speed of light - this is how it could travel. The detailed drawing showing electricity, and the smaller one showing how magnetism travels in relation to the first.

I have designed it as a self propegating system - only travelling in spirals or fractals. when combined this should give a sine wave

Also, if photons had fractals at the front of them - could this explain neutrinos as being these fractals seperated from the EM force? It would in my opinion explain a lot of the wave/particle questions. (things have mass because this fractal energy is bound by strong neuclear force? - could the strong neuclear force etc possibly be explained by the way in which light travels?) Rather than simply stating it as just being a wave?

Cheers

Jamie

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is not a meaningful description.

Stationary relative to what? There is no absolute "stationary". Different observers can see different frequencies, yes. This includes gamma rays.

Large relativistic effects need large relative velocities. If both emitter and [edit] receiver do not move fast relative to each other, they will see nearly the same frequency.

This part does not make sense at all.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  4. Sep 14, 2014 #3
    as per minkowski spacetime, space and time are linked but can vary hyperbolically. i.e. mass moving close the speed of light next to another object which is relatively still - and likewise (as wont be able to tell which one is moving if there is no deceleration / acceleration on either). one would see the others mass as being shorter than it really is (due to time passing slower on the "moving" object from the perspective of the other) this happens as space has expanded due to the slowing of time - i think..

Stationary relative to the velocity of the object that produced the light

I think you mean the emitter and receiver? I understand that principle, explains redshift a bit better with the expansion of space.

No worries, i'll work on clarification / putting this into mathematical terms.

Thanks for the feedback

5. Sep 14, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A photon has no meaningful 'extent' so how can it have a 'theoretical shape'? You could hazard a 'hypothetical shape' but there is no evidence (measurement), afaik, to support that hypothesis. It lies within the realm of personal models that don't really fit the brief of PF.
    You can talk validly about wavelength changes but you can't have a model based on such a dodgy description of the photon.

6. Sep 14, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Oops. Sure.

Don't mix completely different concepts here.

Before you do that, please check our forum rules, as personal theories are not allowed here.

7. Sep 14, 2014 #6

Drakkith

And on that note, thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook