Electromagnetism: Axle rolling on train rails

In summary: Circular loops have a property called helicity, which means that the direction of the current in a circular loop is always the same, regardless of the direction the loop is spinning. However, for square loops, the current in the middle of the loop is always going in a specific direction (clockwise for a right-handed person, counterclockwise for a left-handed person). This is because the magnetic field lines are all oriented in the same direction in a square loop.
dmayers94
Imagine a set of train tracks. Now there is one bridge (a resistor) connecting the two rails in one spot. On a different spot, there is rolling axle that acts as another bridge and it makes good electrical connection with the rails creating a full rectangular circuit. This axle rolls at a constant velocity. The only significant resistance in the circuit is from the resistor with resistance R. There is a uniform magnetic field, B, directed vertically downward and perpendicular to the horizontal rails. Assuming there is no friction on the rails, what horizontal force is necessary to keep the axle moving at a constant speed? Now I know the answer is F = B^2 * length of axle squared * velocity / resistance, but how do I find this? What force acts to slow down the axle in the first place since there is no friction? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dmayers94 said:
What force acts to slow down the axle in the first place since there is no friction? Thanks for the help.

Hello.
Fill in the blank: The B-field could exert a force on the axle if the axle carries a ______________.

moving charge?

dmayers94 said:
moving charge?

OK. Moving charge in a conductor is a current. Can you see any way that a current would be generated in the axle?

I think the current comes from the induced voltage from the changing area of the loop.

dmayers94 said:
I think the current comes from the induced voltage from the changing area of the loop.

Yes. Maybe you've already seen an example worked out in your text or in class where a rod is slid along parallel rails in a B-field to generate current?

Nope, I don't recall that. I'm still confused about the quantitative parts of this problem. I found the induced voltage and I found the current. I just don't know how to find the force on the moving axle.

dmayers94 said:
I found the induced voltage and I found the current. I just don't know how to find the force on the moving axle.

Good. Almost done. Have you learned how to calculate the magnetic force on a straight, current-carrying wire sitting in a magnetic field?

Likes 1 person
What did you get for the induced emf and resulting current?

induced voltage = -cos(angle between area vector and B vector) * B * dA/dt. The angle is 0 because they are parallel. dA/dt = distance between rails * speed of axle so voltage = Bvd. Just divide the voltage by the resistance to get the current.

Force on a current carrying wire: F = iL x B where i is current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the magnitude of the magnetic field. To get the direction you must do a cross product. The L vector is in the direction of the current and the B vector is downward, so you ultimately get a force antiparallel to the velocity of the axle.

I want to get clarification on Lenz's Law while I'm doing a problem like this. The magnetic flux decreases because of the shrinking area, so the induced current must have a direction such that its magnetic field is directed downwards, right? So for a square loop, that means that the current is going clockwise, correct?

Last edited:
dmayers94 said:
I want to get clarification on Lenz's Law while I'm doing a problem like this. The magnetic flux decreases because of the shrinking area, so the induced current must have a direction such that its magnetic field is directed downwards, right?
Yes.

So for a square loop, that means that the current is going clockwise, correct?

Not sure what clockwise means. Looking from above? From below?

Anyway see if this helps: http://capone.mtsu.edu/phys2020/Lectures/L12-L18/L17/Current_Loops/current_loops.html

Square loops are similar to circular loops.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles and magnetic fields. It is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the behavior of electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How does an axle rolling on train rails utilize electromagnetism?

The axle of a train is connected to an electric motor, which is powered by an electric current. This current creates a magnetic field, which interacts with the magnetic field of the train rails. This interaction allows the train to move forward and maintain its momentum.

3. What is the purpose of electromagnetism in this scenario?

The purpose of electromagnetism in this scenario is to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, which allows the train to move forward. It also helps to reduce friction between the axle and the rails, making the movement smoother and more efficient.

4. How does the strength of the electromagnet affect the train's movement?

The strength of the electromagnet affects the train's movement by determining the amount of force produced. A stronger electromagnet will produce a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a more powerful and efficient movement of the train.

5. Is there any potential danger associated with using electromagnetism in trains?

There is no inherent danger associated with using electromagnetism in trains. However, proper maintenance and control are essential to ensure the system operates safely and efficiently. Electromagnetic interference from other sources, such as power lines, can also affect the train's movement and should be carefully monitored and managed.