Electromagnetism Book Recommendations

In summary: Both has great E&M problems to solve.In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with an upper level undergraduate Electromagnetism class and looking for recommendations for alternative textbooks or online resources. Some suggestions include Nayfeh & Brussel, Purcell, Halliday and Resnick, The Feynman Lectures, MIT lecture series, and Wangsness. Some also suggest using a Schaum's outline or Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" as a supplement.
Fjolvar
Hello, I'm currently taking an upper level undergraduate Electromagnetism class and having some difficulty learning the concepts. We are using Griffith's edition and I must say I'm not a fan of the book, so I was wondering if anyone has any other books they could recommend, or even videos online discussing the subjects. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fjolvar said:
Hello, I'm currently taking an upper level undergraduate Electromagnetism class and having some difficulty learning the concepts. We are using Griffith's edition and I must say I'm not a fan of the book, so I was wondering if anyone has any other books they could recommend, or even videos online discussing the subjects. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nayfeh & Brussel, which has tons of solved problems.

Purcell is another common textbook. Halliday and Resnick is another I think. Personally though Griffiths is my go to textbook hands down.

Halliday and Resnick (with either Krane or Walker) is a first-year introductory physics textbook. It's well below the level of Griffiths or Purcell. The OP has surely already been through a course at the level of H&R.

I use The Feynman Lectures for Electricity and Magnetism. Richard Feynman in my opinion was a genius and I absolutely love to be able to see physics the way that he saw it. The Feynman Lectures is a three volume series covering Newtonian Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and some of Quantum Mechanics. It is a wonderful series. It usually comes with another book called Feynman's Tips in Physics which is a small problems solving guide. It is all very interesting.
Another great source that I have found is the online MIT lectures. Walter Lewin gives a complete lecture series for Newtonian Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and a course in Wave Motion. You can see every lecture for each semester, as well as download the actual MIT tests and answer keys and take them.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/
It is amazing all the resources that a student can find nowadays.
The MIT lecture series on E&M is freshman level, but the Feynman lectures is not. The lectures were given at CalTech in the 60's I believe. Each volume covers a year worth of material. The 2nd volume covers mostly E&M and is for sophomores. It should be at the level of your course.
You can also find some great video lectures at Academic Earth. I was watching a Classical Mechanics lecture series given by Leonard Susskind (one of the fathers of string theory) the other day. There's some great stuff on this site as well.

Last edited:
Forget a textbook, get the Schaum's outline of electromagnetism and 2000+ solved problems in electromagnetics

Fjolvar said:
I would recommend Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" which has more detail than Griffith's. It is on a higher level, but you should be able to use it as a supplement.

I would say Griffiths or Jackson.

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn about electromagnetism?

Some recommended books for beginners include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Electromagnetism for Engineers" by P. Hammond, and "Principles of Electromagnetism" by Matthew N.O. Sadiku. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to the fundamentals of electromagnetism and are written in a clear and accessible manner.

2. Are there any books that focus specifically on the mathematical aspects of electromagnetism?

Yes, there are several books that focus on the mathematical foundations of electromagnetism, including "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, "Electromagnetic Theory" by Julius Adams Stratton, and "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" by Magdy F. Iskander. These books dive deeper into the mathematical concepts and equations behind electromagnetism.

3. What are some recommended books for advanced study of electromagnetism?

For more advanced readers, some recommended books include "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, "Electromagnetic Theory" by Julius Adams Stratton, and "Electromagnetic Fields and Waves" by Magdy F. Iskander. These books cover more advanced topics and offer a deeper understanding of electromagnetism.

4. Are there any books that focus on the practical applications of electromagnetism?

Yes, there are several books that focus on the practical applications of electromagnetism, such as "Electromagnetic Engineering" by Ramesh Garg, "Engineering Electromagnetics" by William Hayt and John Buck, and "Applied Electromagnetism" by Shen Y. Zhou. These books provide insights into how electromagnetism is used in various fields, such as engineering and telecommunications.

5. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can enhance understanding of electromagnetism?

Yes, there are many online resources and supplemental materials available for those looking to enhance their understanding of electromagnetism. Some examples include online lectures and tutorials, interactive simulations, and practice problems with solutions. Many of these resources can be found on university websites or educational platforms such as Coursera or Khan Academy.