1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism, finding magnetic field strength

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    1. A 0.034 kg copper rod is hung by two wires and placed in a constant magnetic field. A current
    of 14 A runs through the 0.050 m long copper rod, making it hang at an angle of 34° from the vertical as attached in the diagram.

What is the magnetic field strength holding the copper rod in this position?

A. 27×10-1 T
    B. 32×10-1 T
    C. 39×10-1 T
    D. 48×10-1 T

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\phi[/itex]=B×Acosa
    F=IlB

3. The attempt at a solution

The thing is, I don't really know where to start.

I know that the rod is at 34° (not perpendicular), so I know the formula [itex]\phi[/itex]=B×Acosa has to be involved somehow. However, I'd only be solving for [itex]\phi[/itex] and I don't know the area so that really isn't very helpful.

I'm also given I and l to find B, and the only equation that looks has these variables is F=IlB. But that would me I need to find force and the other equation is F=QvB and we don't have many variables in that one.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Start by drawing a free body diagram.

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    Okay, I think I got it. So I would solve for the force of tension in the wires and that would be the F. Then I would do B=F/Il.

Just one more question: when I finish solving for FT, would I have to double it to find F (since there are two wires)?

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's basically a pendulum (use the side view).
    If the tension in each wire is T, then the total tension is 2T.
    Did you remember the magnetic force and gravity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted