Electromagnetism, finding magnetic field strength

In summary, the problem involves a copper rod hanging at an angle of 34° in a constant magnetic field while a current of 14 A runs through it. The task is to find the magnetic field strength holding the rod in this position. To solve this, the formulas F=IlB and \phi=B×Acosa can be used. By drawing a free body diagram, the force of tension in the wires can be calculated, which can then be used to find the magnetic field strength using the equation B=F/Il. It is important to consider the total tension in the wires, which is twice the tension in each wire. Additionally, both the magnetic force and gravity should be taken into account when solving this problem.
physics604
1. A 0.034 kg copper rod is hung by two wires and placed in a constant magnetic field. A current
of 14 A runs through the 0.050 m long copper rod, making it hang at an angle of 34° from the vertical as attached in the diagram.

What is the magnetic field strength holding the copper rod in this position?

A. 27×10-1 T
B. 32×10-1 T
C. 39×10-1 T
D. 48×10-1 T

Homework Equations

[itex]\phi[/itex]=B×Acosa
F=IlB

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing is, I don't really know where to start.

I know that the rod is at 34° (not perpendicular), so I know the formula [itex]\phi[/itex]=B×Acosa has to be involved somehow. However, I'd only be solving for [itex]\phi[/itex] and I don't know the area so that really isn't very helpful.

I'm also given I and l to find B, and the only equation that looks has these variables is F=IlB. But that would me I need to find force and the other equation is F=QvB and we don't have many variables in that one.

Attachments

• diagram.PNG
    diagram.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 726
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a free body diagram.

Okay, I think I got it. So I would solve for the force of tension in the wires and that would be the F. Then I would do B=F/Il.

Just one more question: when I finish solving for FT, would I have to double it to find F (since there are two wires)?

It's basically a pendulum (use the side view).
If the tension in each wire is T, then the total tension is 2T.
Did you remember the magnetic force and gravity?

I would first start by understanding the physical setup described in the problem. A copper rod hanging at an angle of 34° from the vertical suggests that it is experiencing a force due to a magnetic field, causing it to hang at an angle instead of being perpendicular.

Next, I would use the equation F=IlB to solve for the magnetic field strength (B). We are given the current (I) and the length of the rod (l), so we just need to find the force (F) acting on the rod.

To find the force, we can use the equation F=mg, where m is the mass of the rod and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). We are given the mass of the rod (0.034 kg), so we can calculate the force (F=0.034 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 0.3332 N).

Now, we can plug in our values into the equation F=IlB and solve for B. B=F/Il = 0.3332 N / (14 A x 0.050 m) = 0.476 T.

Therefore, the correct answer is D. 48×10-1 T.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electrically charged particles and their magnetic fields. It is a fundamental force that governs the behavior of electricity and magnetism.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength can be measured using a device called a gaussmeter, which measures the amount of magnetic flux density in a given area. It is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

3. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, the material of the core, and the length of the core. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How does distance affect magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength decreases as distance from the source increases. This follows the inverse square law, which states that the strength of a field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. What are some applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has numerous practical applications, such as in generators and motors, transformers, electric motors, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and magnetic levitation (Maglev) trains. It also plays a crucial role in communication technologies like radios, televisions, and cell phones.