1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism help: Find magnetic flux through a loop

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Very large conductor with DC current is in vacuum. Find magnetic flux through a loop.
    Given parameters: [itex]I,a,\alpha[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\Phi=\int_S B\mathrm dS[/itex] - basic equation for magnetic flux
    [itex]B=\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi x}[/itex] - electromagnetic induction created by very long
    linear conductor at distance [itex]x[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    After assuming the orientation of the loop, we can find direction of electromagnetic induction
    by the right-hand rule. The flux through the loop is equal to the flux through some arbitrary shaped
    surface which lies on the loop (see attachment). I don't know how to derive equation for [itex]dS[/itex].

Elementary flux through the infinitely small surface:
    [itex]d\Phi=BdS\cos(B,n)=BdS[/itex]

In my books solution it says that [itex]d\Phi=\frac{\mu_0I}{2\pi x}\cdot 2z\cos\theta dx[/itex], where
    [itex]z=a\sin\theta, x=a(1-\cos\theta)[/itex]

Flux through the loop is
    [tex]\frac{\mu_0Ia}{\pi}\int_\alpha^{\pi} {(1+\cos\theta)}\mathrm d\theta=\frac{\mu_0Ia}{\pi}(\pi-\alpha-\sin\alpha)[/tex]

Could someone explain how to derive equation for [itex]dS[/itex] and how to set the limits of integration?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Use your coordinate system to determine dS ... limits of integration are related.
    ie. If dS lies in the x-y plane of a rectangular coordinate system you use dS = dx.dy

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since the center of your circle on the x axis is not given, the problem can't be solved.

5. Nov 8, 2015 #4
    The radius of imaginary circle is [itex]a[/itex].

6. Nov 8, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know. That doesnt define the center of the "imaginary circle", just its radius.

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted