Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnets, high voltage/amps, and RF

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    I was wondering what the reaction would be if you aimed RF signal/s into a high powered circular electro-magnet (i think the proper term is a toroid ?). I ask because its too dangerous for me at the moment to conduct experiment. (220v @ 20amps).

would the signal be shot out the side that has the lesser field? If i remember correctly, one side of this kind of electromagnet has a greater field.

I have alot of things tinkering inside my head, and would like to voice them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about. What would happen if you aimed a strong beam of, say, microwave radiation at a toroidal magnet?

(A toroidal magnet has a field that is symmetric across the plane of the toroid, so neither side has a lesser field.)

As far as the microwaves are concerned, the magnetic field is irrelevant -- photons do not carry charge, and thus are not affected by magnetic fields. The microwaves would interact with a toroidal magnet in the exact same way that they would interact with any other toroidal piece of metal. They would induce eddy currents, which would heat up the metal. No signals would be "shot out" of anything.

- Warren

4. May 9, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The effect on the RF signal would be the same whether the lump of metal were a magnet or not a magnet. The static magnetic field would not affect the propagation of the RF signal.

5. May 9, 2007 #4
    ooo ok. thx for the responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?