Electromagnets, high voltage/amps, and RF

In summary, the conversation discusses what would happen if a strong beam of microwave radiation was aimed at a toroidal magnet. It is explained that the magnetic field of the magnet would not affect the propagation of the RF signal and that the microwaves would interact with the metal in the same way as any other toroidal piece of metal. It is also mentioned that no signals would be emitted from the magnet.
SkiesOfBordom
I was wondering what the reaction would be if you aimed RF signal/s into a high powered circular electro-magnet (i think the proper term is a toroid ?). I ask because its too dangerous for me at the moment to conduct experiment. (220v @ 20amps).

would the signal be shot out the side that has the lesser field? If i remember correctly, one side of this kind of electromagnet has a greater field.

I have a lot of things tinkering inside my head, and would like to voice them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about. What would happen if you aimed a strong beam of, say, microwave radiation at a toroidal magnet?

(A toroidal magnet has a field that is symmetric across the plane of the toroid, so neither side has a lesser field.)

As far as the microwaves are concerned, the magnetic field is irrelevant -- photons do not carry charge, and thus are not affected by magnetic fields. The microwaves would interact with a toroidal magnet in the exact same way that they would interact with any other toroidal piece of metal. They would induce eddy currents, which would heat up the metal. No signals would be "shot out" of anything.

- Warren

The effect on the RF signal would be the same whether the lump of metal were a magnet or not a magnet. The static magnetic field would not affect the propagation of the RF signal.

ooo ok. thanks for the responses.

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electrical current through a wire coiled around a magnetic core. This creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can be turned on and off by controlling the electric current.

2. How do high voltage and high amperage affect electromagnets?

High voltage and high amperage can increase the strength of an electromagnet. When a higher voltage is applied, it creates a stronger magnetic field, and when a higher amperage is applied, it increases the number of electrons flowing through the wire, resulting in a stronger magnetic force.

3. What are some common uses for electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including electric motors, generators, MRI machines, speakers, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also used in industrial manufacturing, such as in cranes and lifting devices, and in household appliances like refrigerators and washing machines.

4. What is RF (Radio Frequency) and how is it related to electromagnets?

RF is a type of electromagnetic radiation with a frequency range of 3 kHz to 300 GHz. It is closely related to electromagnets because it is created by oscillating electric and magnetic fields, which are the same components used to create an electromagnet. RF is used in various technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication, and radar systems.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with exposure to high voltage, high amperage, or RF?

Exposure to high voltage and high amperage can be dangerous and potentially fatal if not handled properly. It can cause electric shock, burns, and other injuries. RF exposure is also a concern for some, as prolonged exposure to high levels of RF radiation has been linked to health issues such as cancer and neurological disorders. It is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations when working with or around high voltage, high amperage, and RF equipment.