Electron Acceleration & movement between a uniform magentic field

In summary: The equation you stated, V^2= 4x10^6^2 + 1.67x10^6^2, is not a formula I can find in my notes or my textbook. Is it the pythagorean theorem? since we're finding the hypotenuse of a triangle. Thanks for the help !Uh, how is vertical velocity found, its driving me insane. I know you sort of explained it but I've tried to find it, and tried to... The equation you stated, V^2= 4x10^6^2 + 1.67x10^6^2, is not a formula I can find in my notes or my textbook. Is it the pythagorean
HarleyM

Homework Statement

An electron is fired at 4.0x106 m/s horizontally between the parallel plates as shown, (see diagram) starting at the negative plate. The electron deflects downwards and strikes the bottom plate. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is 4.0 x102 N/C. The separation of the plates is 2.0 cm

A) find the acceleration of the electron
b)find the horizontal distance traveled by the electron when it hits the plate
c) find the velocity of the electron as it strikes the plate

Homework Equations

a)ma=εq
b) Δdy=V1yΔT + 1/2 aΔT2
ΔDx= V1xΔT
c)V2x=√V1x + 2aΔdy Really unsure about this, using x and y components in the same equation?
qelectron= -1.6x10-19
Melectron= 9.11x10^ -31 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

A) ma=εq
a= (4.0x10^2)(1.6x10^-19)/(9.11x10^-31)
a= 7.03 x10^13 m/s^2 [down]

B)Δdy=V1yΔT + 1/2 aΔT2
0.02=0ΔT +1/2 (7.03x1013ΔT2 (the 0Δ T cancels?)
ΔT= √(0.02)(2)/(7.03x1013
ΔT= 2.3x10-8s

ΔDx= V1xΔT
ΔDx= (4.0x10^6)*(2.3x10^-8)
=0.092 m
=9.2 cm

C) V2x=√V1x + 2aΔdy
V2= √(4.06x10^6)+2(7.03x10^13)(0.02) <--(should I use horizontal or vertical distance here)
V2= 4.34x10^6 m/s ( it gets faster which is a good sign lol)

My biggest confusion is when to use vertical distance 2 cm or horizontal distance 9.2 cm .

I took a lot of time to write this up so any help is appreciated immensely. I feel like I did everything right I just need re assurance. I am a perfectionist and I want to get full marks.

Sorry forgot to attach diagram, its crude but its exactly what is happening
diagram.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the electric field strength = 400N/C so you can find the force on an electron.
If you know the Force and the mass of an electron then you can calculate the acceleration.
You know the horizontal velocity of the electron so the question is a sort of projectile question... does this help??

Uhh to be honest, It has only made me second guess myself lol :P

OK... I will go through your numbers
I used F = E x q to get Foce on electron = 6.4 x 10 ^-17N
Then used F= ma to get acceleration a = 7.05 x 10^13 ... same as you
I got time to move between the plates (use 2cm as S in equation S = 0.5at^2) to be
2.39 x 10^-6 s (you got x 10^-8)... I will check mine again
(I think you have made a mistake where you have written 'the ΔT cancels'...it does not !)

I will be back soon with my complete calculation...

I made a mistake... also got the time to be 2.38 x 10^-8 s...
back soon

I got the same as you for the velocity... the length of the plates does not come into the calculation... they tell you the electron hits the plates and that confirms it...

Last edited:
You got it right... do you want a challenge?
At what angle does the electron strike the plate ?
I am surprised they did not ask you that :smile:

Thank you very much for the help, as for the challenge I have no real idea how to even begin to find the angle..

I appreciate the input however, you seem to be helping me a lot lately !

Good vibes :)

technician said:
You got it right... do you want a challenge?
At what angle does the electron strike the plate ?
I am surprised they did not ask you that :smile:

The question asked for Velocity. Not speed. Velocity has direction.
in this case, the direction would be the angle at which it strikes the plate.
evidently they did ask you for that :P

Tan(theta) = V_f_y / V_f_x
(theta) = 23degrees

The correct full answer being:

"Therefore the final velocity of the electron was 4.3 x 10^6 m/s [ E 26(degrees) S ]"

P.S. Also remember to show in your diagram which direction is North. (You can use up,down,left,right, or [Towards negative plate] if you wish

Last edited:
Vanishd said:
The question asked for Velocity. Not speed. Velocity has direction.
in this case, the direction would be the angle at which it strikes the plate.
evidently they did ask you for that :P

Tan(theta) = V_f_y / V_f_x
(theta) = 23degrees

The correct full answer being:

"Therefore the final velocity of the electron was 4.3 x 10^6 m/s [ E 26(degrees) S ]"

P.S. Also remember to show in your diagram which direction is North. (You can use up,down,left,right, or [Towards negative plate] if you wish

How are you getting Vfx I used your answer of 23 degrees and solved backwards to get a vfx that should equal about 1.08x10-5 but I can't seem to get that answer as my vfx for the life of me.

Thanks!

Bump!

I hope I am allowed to bump threads i need an answer !

I said I would post my calculations and forgot ! Here are the vital steps.
Force on electron = 6.4 x 10^-17 N
Gives vertical acceleration = 7 x 10^13 m/s^2
using separationof plates as distance traveled this gives vertical velocity = 1.67 x 10^6 m/s
Horizontal velocity is constant therefore velocity of electron is given by:
v^2 = (4 x 10^6)^2 + (1.67 x 10^6)^2
gives velocity = 4.34 x 10^6 m/s
Just as Vanished has pointed out
The angle of the velocity is given by Tanθ = vertical velocity/horizontal velocity
Tanθ = 1.67 x 10^6/4 x 10^6 = 0.4175 gives θ = 23 degrees to horizontal
Hope this is what you wanted... ask again if you are not sure of anything

technician said:
I said I would post my calculations and forgot ! Here are the vital steps.
Force on electron = 6.4 x 10^-17 N
Gives vertical acceleration = 7 x 10^13 m/s^2
using separationof plates as distance traveled this gives vertical velocity = 1.67 x 10^6 m/s
Horizontal velocity is constant therefore velocity of electron is given by:
v^2 = (4 x 10^6)^2 + (1.67 x 10^6)^2
gives velocity = 4.34 x 10^6 m/s
Just as Vanished has pointed out
The angle of the velocity is given by Tanθ = vertical velocity/horizontal velocity
Tanθ = 1.67 x 10^6/4 x 10^6 = 0.4175 gives θ = 23 degrees to horizontal
Hope this is what you wanted... ask again if you are not sure of anything

Uh, how is vertical velocity found, its driving me insane. I know you sort of explained it but I've tried to find it, and tried to get the same number as you but I can't.

If you can explain it a little further that would be great !

thanks

Vertically you have constant force so constant accelerated motion, so use Vf = Vi + a*t.
Vi is zero vertically. Never mind signs; it accelerates down and you know the velocity is downward.

I think you will be disappointed with those answers because they are not very accurate after part (a). You have 2.3 x 10^-8 for the time. I have 2.386. If you want 2 digit accuracy in final answers after this point you must start with 3 digit accuracy for the time. If you want 3 in final answers, keep 4 along the way.

Do you see the vertical acceleration is 7.0 x 10^13 m/s^2 ?
I then used the distance between th 2 plates (2 x 10^-2 m) to find the vertical component of velocity using
V^2 = u^2 + 2aS and got v =1.7 x 10^6 m/s (1.68 to 3 figures)

As far as significant figures are concerned you are not given any numbers to more than 2 significant figures so it is not legitimate to give an answer to more than 2 figures
I used 3 figures in my calculations
by definition any more than 2 figures is insignificant

Hope you see the physics behind the calculation

What is electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration refers to the increase in speed or kinetic energy of an electron as it moves through a magnetic field or is subjected to an electric field.

What is the principle behind electron movement in a uniform magnetic field?

The principle behind electron movement in a uniform magnetic field is that a magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charged particle, causing it to follow a curved path perpendicular to the magnetic field lines.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect electron movement?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the magnitude of the force exerted on the electron, which in turn determines the radius of its circular path and its speed. A stronger magnetic field will result in a smaller radius and faster speed, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a larger radius and slower speed.

What factors influence the acceleration of electrons in a magnetic field?

The acceleration of electrons in a magnetic field is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the electron, and its initial velocity. The direction of the magnetic field in relation to the electron's motion also plays a role.

What is the practical application of electron acceleration and movement in a uniform magnetic field?

Electron acceleration and movement in a uniform magnetic field have many practical applications, including particle accelerators used in scientific research and medical treatments, as well as in the functioning of various electronic devices such as cathode ray tubes and MRI machines.