Electron anomalous magnetic moment

In summary, the electron anomalous magnetic moment is a dimensionless quantity that measures the deviation of the electron's magnetic moment from classical physics predictions in an external magnetic field. It is important for understanding the fundamental properties of the electron and for precision tests of the Standard Model. It can be measured using various experimental techniques and the current accepted value is 0.00115965218073 with a small discrepancy from theoretical predictions known as the "electron g-2 anomaly." This has sparked research and debate in the field of particle physics for its potential implications for new physics beyond the Standard Model.
Muoniex
Hello there!
I'm trying to check the first order (1 loop) correction to the electron magnetic moment. I'm following Schwartz and Peskin, but both of them have a point where they hide the calculations, and I'm not sure if my calculations are correct.

The point is exactly this:
Sin-t-tulo.png

I don't know how to get from (17.23) to (17.24).
Do you know where can I check those steeps?

Attachments

• Sin-t-tulo.png
    Sin-t-tulo.png
    16 KB · Views: 982
Physics news on Phys.org
There should be some publication where this was first derived.
Textbooks don't like to fill full pages with calculations barely anyone will follow.

1. What is the electron anomalous magnetic moment?

The electron anomalous magnetic moment, also known as the electron g-factor, is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field that an electron produces. It is a dimensionless quantity that describes the deviation of the electron's magnetic moment from its expected value in classical physics.

2. How is the electron anomalous magnetic moment measured?

The electron anomalous magnetic moment is measured using a technique called the "g-2" experiment. This involves placing a single electron in a magnetic field and measuring its energy levels using a precise spectroscopy technique. The difference between the measured energy levels and the expected energy levels is used to calculate the electron's anomalous magnetic moment.

3. What is the significance of the electron anomalous magnetic moment?

The electron anomalous magnetic moment is significant because it provides a test of the Standard Model of particle physics. Any deviation from the expected value could indicate the presence of new particles or interactions that are not accounted for in the Standard Model. It is also important for understanding the behavior of electrons in various materials and in the development of new technologies.

4. What is the current status of the electron anomalous magnetic moment?

The current status of the electron anomalous magnetic moment is a topic of ongoing research and debate. The most recent measurement by the g-2 experiment at Fermilab has shown a discrepancy of about 3 standard deviations from the expected value, which could indicate the presence of new physics. However, further experiments and calculations are needed to confirm this result and understand its implications.

5. How does the electron anomalous magnetic moment relate to other particles?

The electron anomalous magnetic moment is just one example of the magnetic moment of a particle. Other particles, such as protons and neutrons, also have magnetic moments that can be measured and compared to theoretical predictions. The electron anomalous magnetic moment is particularly interesting because it is the smallest of all known particles, making it a sensitive probe for new physics.