A Electron Vertex Function in QED

• Thread starter orisomech
  • Start date
Summary
Form Factors Of QED electron vertex function.
In Peskin book they calculate the QED Vertex Function named Gamma which depend on two scalar functions called form factors F1(q^2), F2(q^2).
they are calculating F1(q^2) and they do not really finish calculating for what I understand. They are just showing the Infrared divergent is cancelled by soft photons. Does it depend on the energy E_l of the largest energy measurable photon? and according to Wikipedia F1[0]=1 to all orders in perturbation theory , why is that?
And also, are there any physical quantities that are calculated due to F1[q^2] (I guess probably there are high energy physical quantities, but are there low energy ones such as g the anomalous magnetic moment?)

haushofer

Science Advisor
Insights Author
I don't know, but please be more specific. In Peskin book where?

Summary: Form Factors Of QED electron vertex function.

In Peskin book they calculate the QED Vertex Function named Gamma which depend on two scalar functions called form factors F1(q^2), F2(q^2).
they are calculating F1(q^2) and they do not really finish calculating for what I understand. They are just showing the Infrared divergent is cancelled by soft photons. Does it depend on the energy E_l of the largest energy measurable photon? and according to Wikipedia F1[0]=1 to all orders in perturbation theory , why is that?
And also, are there any physical quantities that are calculated due to F1[q^2] (I guess probably there are high energy physical quantities, but are there low energy ones such as g the anomalous magnetic moment?)
Well, I think in Peskin and Schroeder they simply compute ##F_1(q^2)## to order ##\alpha## and they use that to show how to deal with infrared divergences, if you want a full order calculation of ##F_1(q^2)## then you should look somewhere else.
In Peskin's book, they give you an argument of why ##F_1(0)=1## to all orders if we want to recover Coulombs limit, and they prove it more formally in the next Chapter.
Is just this argument that ##F_1(0)=1## what forbids ##F_1## to play a role in low energy physical magnitudes. The g anomaly is due to ##F_2## which precisely have a non-unity value at low energies.