Steps in an electron's magnetic moment derivation

In summary, the speaker is reading a book on QFT and is having trouble understanding a step in the derivation of the anomalous magnetic moment. They tried using the equations ##p=q_2-q_1## and ##\not{q_1}u(q_1)=mu(q_1)##, but there are still gamma matrices that cannot be eliminated because they do not commute. They are asking for clarification on what the author is using in this step.
kelly0303
Hello! I am reading Schwarz's book on QFT and in chapter 17 he introduces the anomalous magnetic moment. I am not sure I understand a step in the derivation (from a mathematical point of view), when going from 17.23 to 17.24 (I attached a SS of it). I was able to get certain terms, but I am not sure what to do with term of the form ##\not{p}\gamma^\mu\not{p}## or ##\not{q_1}\gamma^\mu\not{p}##. I tried using ##p=q_2-q_1## and them the fact that ##\not{q_1}u(q_1)=mu(q_1)## and ##\bar{u}(q_2)\not{q_2}=mu(q_2)## but there are still gamma matrices I can't get rid of (mainly because they don't commute). Can someone tell me what is he using? Thank you!

Attachments

• qft.png
    qft.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
kelly0303 said:
Hello! I am reading Schwarz's book on QFT and in chapter 17 he introduces the anomalous magnetic moment. I am not sure I understand a step in the derivation (from a mathematical point of view), when going from 17.23 to 17.24 (I attached a SS of it). I was able to get certain terms, but I am not sure what to do with term of the form ##\not{p}\gamma^\mu\not{p}## or ##\not{q_1}\gamma^\mu\not{p}##. I tried using ##p=q_2-q_1## and them the fact that ##\not{q_1}u(q_1)=mu(q_1)## and ##\bar{u}(q_2)\not{q_2}=mu(q_2)## but there are still gamma matrices I can't get rid of (mainly because they don't commute). Can someone tell me what is he using? Thank you!
Have you used that ##\{\gamma_\mu, \gamma_\nu \} = 2 \eta_{\mu \nu} ##?

1. What is the magnetic moment of an electron?

The magnetic moment of an electron refers to its ability to generate a magnetic field due to its spin and orbital motion.

2. What are the steps involved in deriving an electron's magnetic moment?

The steps involved in deriving an electron's magnetic moment include determining the electron's spin angular momentum, calculating its orbital angular momentum, and combining these two to determine the total angular momentum. The total angular momentum is then multiplied by a constant known as the gyromagnetic ratio to obtain the magnetic moment.

3. How is the electron's spin angular momentum determined?

The electron's spin angular momentum is determined by using the Stern-Gerlach experiment, where a beam of electrons is passed through a magnetic field and their deflection is measured. This deflection is directly proportional to the electron's spin angular momentum.

4. What is the significance of the gyromagnetic ratio in the derivation of an electron's magnetic moment?

The gyromagnetic ratio is a constant that relates the angular momentum of an electron to its magnetic moment. It is an important factor in the derivation of an electron's magnetic moment as it allows us to calculate the strength of the magnetic field generated by the electron.

5. How is the electron's magnetic moment used in scientific research?

The electron's magnetic moment is used in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics, nuclear magnetic resonance, and particle physics. It provides valuable insights into the behavior and properties of electrons, which are fundamental building blocks of matter.