Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron density in terms of squares of wavefunctions

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    Dear all,

I have a quantum system made up of two layers. An electric field is applied with two voltages applied at both layers. I want to calculate the electronic densities that reside at the two laters in terms of the wavefunctions obtained from solving the HamiltoniaN..Anyone knows of an expression relating the electronic densities with the squares of the wavefunctions or anywhere I can find this expression?

Thanks

Elie

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

K^2

Science Advisor

Square of the wave function is the probability density. But if you have multiple particles, your wave function will be quite complex.

4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    Hello,

In fact I am working with bilayer graphene under the effect of an external voltage. bilayer graphene has 4 bands 2 valence and 2 conduction ones. when u apply a field some excess charge will acuumulate at the 2 layers; I read that this excess charge density is proportional to the square of the wavefunction but cant get hold of the exact expression.

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook