Electron double slit diffraction with unequal widths

In summary, the problem involves a double slit electron diffraction experiment with a beam of electrons passing through two slits onto a screen. When only one slit is open, the number of electrons hitting the screen is 25 times the number of electrons hitting the screen when the other slit is open. With both slits open, there is an interference pattern with incomplete destructive interference. The ratio of the probability of an electron arriving at an interference maximum to the probability of an electron arriving at an interference minimum can be found by calculating the intensity and amplitude ratios. The final answer is 9/4.
JJ6

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I'm working on a problem with a double slit electron diffraction experiment. There is a beam of electrons shooting through two slits onto a screen. When only slit 1 is open, the number of electrons hitting the screen is 25 times the number of electrons hitting the screen when only slit 2 is open. When both screens are open, there is an interference pattern in which destructive interference is not complete. With both slits open, what is the ratio of the probability of an electron arriving at an interference maximum to the probability of an electron arriving at an interference minimum?

Homework Equations

Unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first double-slit problem that I've seen, so I have absolutely no idea what I need to do to solve this problem.

My instinct would be to just say that since about 25 electrons through slit 1 for every 1 through slit 2, the ratio will just be 26/24 = 13/12, but I'm 99% sure I'm wrong. Assuming this is wrong, why is it?

Could somebody please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Number of electrons hitting the screen can be taken a the intensity I of the electron beam. Corresponding amplitude of the De Broglie wave is proportional to sqrt I.
Now find I1/I2. Then find A1/A2.
During interference Amax = A1 + A2 and Amin = A1 - A2.
Hence find Imax/Imin.

I1/I2 = 25
A1/A2 = 5
Amax = A1 + A2 = 6, Amin = A1 - A2 = 4
Imax/Imin = (6/4)^2 = 9/4

Is this correct?

Yes. That is correct.

1. What is electron double slit diffraction with unequal widths?

Electron double slit diffraction with unequal widths is a phenomenon in which electrons are diffracted or scattered as they pass through two parallel slits of different widths. This results in an interference pattern that can be observed on a detector screen.

2. How is this different from the classic double slit experiment?

In the classic double slit experiment, the two slits have equal widths. In the case of electron double slit diffraction with unequal widths, the two slits have different widths, which results in a more complex interference pattern.

3. What factors affect the diffraction pattern in this experiment?

The main factors that affect the diffraction pattern in electron double slit diffraction with unequal widths are the distance between the slits, the width of the slits, and the wavelength of the electrons. The distance between the slits and the detector screen also plays a role.

4. How is this phenomenon explained by the wave-particle duality of electrons?

According to the wave-particle duality of electrons, particles such as electrons can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. In the case of electron double slit diffraction, the electrons behave like waves as they pass through the slits, resulting in an interference pattern. This phenomenon is not possible to explain using the classical particle model of electrons.

5. What applications does electron double slit diffraction with unequal widths have?

This phenomenon has a wide range of applications in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and electron microscopy. It can be used to study the properties of materials at the nanoscale and can also provide insights into the behavior of particles at the quantum level.