Electron in one dimensional infinite square well

In summary, the conversation discusses the excitation of an electron in a one-dimensional infinite square well of width 1.10 nm by light of wavelength 600 nm. The energy of the electron in the ground state is calculated to be 0.310 eV and the energy of the photon is 2.066 eV. By using the equation for energy of a particle in a box and solving for n, it is determined that the electron is excited into the 3rd state. However, since the photon's energy does not match any of the other excited states, it is not absorbed by the electron. It is concluded that a photon must have the exact energy level to excite an electron into a different state.
whynot314
An electron in the ground state of a one-dimensional infinite square well of width 1.10 nm is
illuminated with light of wavelength 600 nm. Into which quantum state is the electron excited?

ok so I first calculated the engery of the electron in the first ground state of the square well using
[itex]\frac{1240^{2}}{8*511000*1.10^{2}}[/itex]
I get .310 eV

Then i calculate the energy of the photon
[itex]\frac{1240}{600}[/itex]

and i get 2.066 eV

Then i do
2.066=[itex]\frac{1240^{2}}{8*511000*1.10^{2}}[/itex]*[itex]n^{2}[/itex]-.310
and solve for n i get the 3rd state. that answer says it should be in the same state n=1, I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If that fraction is 0.31 eV, how did you get n=3 as result? The solution differs significantly from 3 - indicating that the electron does not absorb this wavelength at all.

The .310 I calculated using the energy for a particle in a box E=[itex]\frac{h^{2} c^{2}}{8*m*c^{2}*L^{2} }[/itex]*[itex]n^{2}[/itex], for n=1 for a the electron in ground state. I got n=3 by using E(photon)= (energy in a box) [itex]\frac{h^{2} c^{2}}{8*m*c^{2}*L^{2} }[/itex]*[itex]n^{2}[/itex]-Energy of the electron in ground state (.310). I just then solved for n.so how does the ratio compare?

Does the photon need to have the exact energy level to excite the electron into a different state? since the ground state is .311 eV and the 1 st excited state is 1.244 eV and the 2nd excited state is 2.799 for this length of box. And because a single photon of the light has 2.066 eV and does not match any of the other excited states it does not get absorbed?

whynot314 said:
Does the photon need to have the exact energy level to excite the electron into a different state?
Pretty much.
And because a single photon of the light has 2.066 eV and does not match any of the other excited states it does not get absorbed?
Exactly.

What is an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well?

An electron in a one dimensional infinite square well is a model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle (in this case, an electron) confined within a one-dimensional box with infinitely high potential walls on either side.

What are the properties of an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well?

The energy of an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well is quantized, meaning it can only exist at certain discrete energy levels within the well. Additionally, the probability of finding the electron at different positions within the well is described by the wave function, which follows the rules of quantum mechanics.

How does the energy of an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well change?

The energy of an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well can only change by absorbing or emitting a photon with the exact amount of energy required to move it from one energy level to another. This is known as a quantum leap.

What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and how does it relate to an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is particularly relevant for an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well, as the wave function describes the probability of finding the electron at different positions, but does not give an exact location.

What are some practical applications of studying an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well?

Studying an electron in a one dimensional infinite square well can help us better understand the principles of quantum mechanics and how particles behave on a microscopic level. This knowledge has led to advancements in technology, such as the development of transistors and other electronic devices. Additionally, this model has been used to explain phenomena in other fields, such as the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice in solid state physics.