1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron One Split Energy Probability Density Function

1. May 4, 2014 #1

VVS

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=69371&d=1399142463

2. The attempt at a solution
    I am working on the last problem now.
    Here is what I have got so far. Basically I have converted the coordinate space wave function to a momentum space wave function. Then one can associate an Energy interval to a momentum space interval and integrate the absolute value of momentum space wave function squared in that interval to find the probability density function as a function of Energy. But somehow I am getting a weird result.
    View attachment Übung 19.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When finding the normalization constant, c, make sure you integrate the square of the magnitude of the wave function.

You are asked to find the probability density for an infinitesimal range E to E + dE. So, you don't need to integrate over an interval.

Your Fourier transform to momentum space looks good to me.

4. May 5, 2014 #3

VVS

Thanks. Yeah you're right about the normalization constant, really sloppy on my side.
    Thanks for your hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted