Highest probability of finding an electron

In summary, the wave function of a one-electron atom is: -The square of the modulus of the wave function is the probability density, -The probability of finding the particle in an infinitesimal volume around the point (r, θ, φ) is given by -The probability of finding the particle at a distance r is given by -The marginal probability density is given by -The wave function is spherically symmetric, and the probability of finding the particle at a certain point is the same for all directions.
PhoenixWright
Hello.

I have found an exercise that reads: "The wave function of a one-electron atom is:

2uejqz9.jpg
[1s orbital, atom: Li2+ What will be the most likely distance to locate the electron?"

Solution of exercise is:

2u5ri0y.jpg

My question is: Why the square of the probability density is dP/dV, and therefore the volume formula is used?

I had always done this exercise by the square of the wave function, deriving the function and finding the maximum... I don't know why it's used the volume of a sphere here...

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I will give a 1D example. An integral ##P(x) = \int_{a}^x |\psi(x')|^2 dx'## gives the probability of finding a particle between any constant ##a## and ##x##, differentiating ##P(x)## with respect to ##x## gives ##|\psi(x)|^2##.

Thank you!

Sorry, but I don't understand the relation between this:

blue_leaf77 said:
I will give a 1D example. An integral ##P(x) = \int_{a}^x |\psi(x')|^2 dx'## gives the probability of finding a particle between any constant ##a## and ##x##, differentiating ##P(x)## with respect to ##x## gives ##|\psi(x)|^2##.

and the volume of the sphere... I had never done this type of exercise in this way, so I don't understand why this exercise is different...

I don't have advanced knowledge, since I'm starting...

Thanks!

blue_leaf77 said:
Define a function ##F(x)## such that
$$
|\psi(x)|^2 = \frac{d F(x)}{dx}
$$
So,
$$
\frac{d P(x)}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} \int_{a}^x |\psi(x')|^2 dx' = \frac{d}{dx} (F(x) - F(a)) = \frac{dF(x)}{dx} = |\psi(x)|^2
$$
For 3D case, the logic may be slightly elaborate as it involves three variables but the intuition from 1D case can be directly applied. In the current problem, the radial probability ##P(r)## between a point ##r'=a## and ##r## is defined by
$$
P(r) = \int_a^r \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} |\psi_{1s}(r')|^2 r'^2 \sin \theta dr' d\theta d\phi = \int_a^r |\psi_{1s}(r')|^2 4\pi r'^2 dr'
$$
Taking derivative with respect to ##r##
$$
\frac{d P(r)}{dr} = \frac{d}{dr}\int_a^r |\psi_{1s}(r')|^2 4\pi r'^2 dr' = |\psi_{1s}(r)|^2 4\pi r^2
$$

Likes PhoenixWright
Thank you very much, blue_leaf77. Now I have understood correctly.

Another way to look at it...
PhoenixWright said:
My question is: Why the square of the probability density is dP/dV, and therefore the volume formula is used?
The square of the modulus of the wave function is the probability density, i.e., ##dP/dV = \| \psi(\vec{r}) \|^2##. This is one of the basic assumptions of quantum mechanics.

The probability ##dP## of finding the particle in an infinitesimal volume ##dV## around the point ##(r, \theta, \phi)## is given by
$$dP = \| \psi(r, \theta, \phi) \|^2\,dV = \| \psi(r, \theta, \phi) \|^2r^2\,dr\,d(\cos\theta)\,d\phi.$$ If you want the probability of finding the particle at a distance ##r=r_0##, you have to sum over all possibilities meeting this criterion. That is, you need to integrate over the angles. Because the wave function is spherically symmetric, you end up with
$$dP_r = \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-1}^1 \| \psi(r) \|^2r^2\,dr\,d(\cos\theta)\,d\phi = 4\pi r^2 \| \psi(r) \|^2\,dr.$$ In other words, the marginal probability density ##f_r(r)## is given by ##f_r(r) = 4\pi r^2 \| \psi(r) \|^2##.

I had always done this exercise by the square of the wave function, derivingdifferentiating the function and finding the maximum... I don't know why it's used the volume of a sphere here.

Likes PhoenixWright
Thank you, Vela. My questions have been clarified. It is always good to see two ways.

1. What is the highest probability of finding an electron?

The highest probability of finding an electron is in the region around the nucleus of an atom, known as the electron cloud or orbital. The exact location of an electron cannot be determined, but the electron cloud represents the area where an electron is most likely to be found.

2. How is the probability of finding an electron determined?

The probability of finding an electron is determined by the quantum mechanical model of the atom. This model takes into account the wave-like behavior of electrons and assigns a mathematical probability to the location of electrons in an atom. The electron cloud represents the regions where electrons are most likely to be found based on these calculations.

3. Does the probability of finding an electron change?

Yes, the probability of finding an electron can change depending on various factors such as the energy level of the electron, the type of atom, and the presence of other particles. For example, in an excited state, electrons may have a higher probability of being found further away from the nucleus.

4. Can electrons be found outside of the highest probability region?

While the highest probability of finding an electron is in the electron cloud, there is a small chance that an electron can be found outside of this region. This is due to the wave-like nature of electrons and the uncertainty principle, which states that the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.

5. How does the highest probability region of finding an electron affect chemical bonding?

The electron cloud and its highest probability region play a crucial role in chemical bonding. Atoms with partially or completely filled electron clouds are more stable and less likely to form bonds. In contrast, atoms with unfilled electron clouds are more reactive and likely to form bonds with other atoms to achieve a more stable electron configuration.