Electron Scattering and Bragg's law

In summary, the problem involves a beam of thermal neutrons scattering from a crystal with a given interatomic spacing. The goal is to find the φ angle of the first order Bragg peak. Using equations for kinetic energy and momentum, we can solve for K and substitute it into the Bragg equation. However, there was an error in using the mass of the electron instead of the neutron. Once this was corrected, the final answer for the φ angle was obtained.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

A beam of thermal neutrons (K = 0.025 eV) scatters from a crystal with interatomic spacing 0.45 nm. What is the φ angle of the first order Bragg peak? (as defined in figure 5.11, φ and the scattering angle add up to 180 degrees).

Homework Equations

nλ = 2dsinθ
= DsinΦ
d = distance between Bragg planes
D = intermolecular distance
2θ = scattering angle
2θ = π = Φ
K= 1/2mv2
p=mv=h/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Since K=1/2mv2 and p=mv we can solve K and say
K=p2/2m = (pc)2/2mc2
so pc = √(2Kmc2)
and since p=h/λ we have λ=h/p
if we multiply top and bottom by c we have

λ=hc/pc = hc/√(2Kmc2) = DsinΦ since n= 1 for first order.

Thus sinΦ = (hc/D)(1/√(2Kmc2)
however when I plug these numbers in I get that
Φ = sin-1 (17.239) which isn't possible. To me, this makes no sense because my units cancel out properly and I can't see what I did wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind I think I solved it. I was putting in the mass of the electron instead of neutron. Can someone check for me that all my steps still make sense?

1. What is electron scattering?

Electron scattering is a phenomenon in which electrons are deflected from their original path due to interactions with other particles or fields. This can occur in various settings, such as in particle accelerators or when electrons interact with the atomic structure of a material.

2. What is the significance of Bragg's law in electron scattering?

Bragg's law is a fundamental principle in electron scattering that describes the relationship between the scattering angle and the atomic spacing of a crystalline sample. It is a key tool used to analyze the structure of materials and has applications in fields such as materials science and crystallography.

3. How is Bragg's law derived?

Bragg's law is derived from the concepts of constructive interference and diffraction. When an incident electron beam strikes a crystal, it is diffracted and produces a diffraction pattern. Bragg's law uses the geometry of this diffraction pattern to determine the atomic spacing of the crystal.

4. Can Bragg's law be applied to other types of particles besides electrons?

Yes, Bragg's law can be applied to other types of particles, such as X-rays or neutrons, that exhibit wave-like behavior. However, the specific equations and parameters may differ depending on the type of particle being used.

5. What are some real-world applications of electron scattering and Bragg's law?

Electron scattering and Bragg's law have various applications in the study of materials and their properties. For example, they are often used in materials characterization techniques, such as electron diffraction and scanning electron microscopy. They also have applications in fields such as nanotechnology, where the atomic structure of materials is crucial for understanding their properties and behavior.