Electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary

• I
  • Thread starter Rzbs
  • Start date

Summary:

What exactly happen when an electron reach a Brillouin zone boundary?
I what to know what is electron scattering in Brillouin zone boundary?
What exactly happen for electron in Brillouin zone boundary; what happen for it in real space and what happen for it in reciprocal space?
And is electron scattering from a Brillouin zone boundary could be a source for resistance; I mean like electron-phonon scattering that cause resistance at not zero temperature?
Thanks for your help

Likes hutchphd

Answers and Replies

hutchphd
Science Advisor
I recommend the one dimensional nearly free electron case as a vehicle to understanding. Near the edge of the Brillouin Zone, travelling waves give way to standing waves as the preferred solution....this can be described as "strong backscattering". because the periodicity of the wave is commensurate with the lattice . ( If you know optics this is similar to a multilayer notch interference filter )

Likes Rzbs
Thanks
So what about the second part of my quetion, "is electron scattering from a Brillouin zone boundary could be a source for resistance; I mean like electron-phonon scattering that cause resistance at not zero temperature?"
If yes; how? If not why?

And what is the best simple book for understanding this subject in details you suggest?

(And I must say I am not familiar with optics very much, unfortunately)

hutchphd
Science Advisor
The answer to your question is yes it could but it becomes complicated. I recommend for solid state physics Ashcroft and Mermin or Kittel; there are many others that I am sure are adequate. These are standard undergraduate texts and I don't know any simpler texts.

Thanks