Electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary

In summary, the conversation discusses electron scattering in Brillouin zone boundary and its role in resistance. The preferred solution near the edge of the Brillouin Zone is described as strong backscattering due to the periodicity of the wave being commensurate with the lattice. The second part of the question asks if electron scattering from a Brillouin zone boundary can be a source of resistance, similar to electron-phonon scattering. The answer is yes, but it is a complicated topic. The recommended books for understanding this subject are "Solid State Physics" by Ashcroft and Mermin or "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Kittel. These are standard undergraduate texts.
Rzbs
TL;DR Summary
What exactly happen when an electron reach a Brillouin zone boundary?
I what to know what is electron scattering in Brillouin zone boundary?
What exactly happen for electron in Brillouin zone boundary; what happen for it in real space and what happen for it in reciprocal space?
And is electron scattering from a Brillouin zone boundary could be a source for resistance; I mean like electron-phonon scattering that cause resistance at not zero temperature?
Thanks for your help

Likes hutchphd
Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend the one dimensional nearly free electron case as a vehicle to understanding. Near the edge of the Brillouin Zone, traveling waves give way to standing waves as the preferred solution...this can be described as "strong backscattering". because the periodicity of the wave is commensurate with the lattice . ( If you know optics this is similar to a multilayer notch interference filter )

Likes Rzbs
Thanks
So what about the second part of my quetion, "is electron scattering from a Brillouin zone boundary could be a source for resistance; I mean like electron-phonon scattering that cause resistance at not zero temperature?"
If yes; how? If not why?

And what is the best simple book for understanding this subject in details you suggest?

(And I must say I am not familiar with optics very much, unfortunately)

The answer to your question is yes it could but it becomes complicated. I recommend for solid state physics Ashcroft and Mermin or Kittel; there are many others that I am sure are adequate. These are standard undergraduate texts and I don't know any simpler texts.

Thanks

1. What is electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary?

Electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary refers to the phenomenon of electrons being scattered by the periodic potential of a crystal lattice at the boundary of the Brillouin zone. This scattering can affect the behavior and properties of electrons in a material.

2. How does electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary affect material properties?

Electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary can affect material properties such as electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and optical properties. This is because the scattering can alter the movement and behavior of electrons, which are responsible for these properties.

3. What factors influence electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary?

The strength and periodicity of the crystal lattice potential, the energy and momentum of the electrons, and the temperature of the material are all factors that can influence electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary.

4. How is electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary measured?

Electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary can be measured using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron diffraction, and neutron scattering. These methods allow scientists to study the scattering patterns of electrons and analyze their behavior in the material.

5. What are the applications of studying electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary?

Studying electron scattering in the Brillouin zone boundary can provide valuable insights into the behavior of electrons in materials, which can be applied in various fields such as materials science, solid-state physics, and electronics. It can also help in the development of new materials with desired properties.