1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Spin State and Values

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Electron Spin State and Values

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is in the spin state:

[tex]X = A\begin{pmatrix} 1-2i \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

(a) Determine the constant A by normalizing [tex]X[/tex]

(b) If you measured [tex]S_{z}[/tex] on this electron, what values could you get, and what is the probability of each? What is the expectation value of [tex]S_{z}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]S_{z} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\left\langle S_{z}\right\rangle = \left\langle X | S_{z}X\right\rangle[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part a):
    [tex]A^{2}\left[ |1-2i|^{2} + |2|^{2}\right] = 1 \Rightarrow[/tex]
    [tex]A^{2}\left[ 1-4i+4+4\right] = 1 \Rightarrow[/tex]
    [tex]A^{2}\left[ 9-4i\right] = 1 \Rightarrow[/tex]
    [tex]A^{2} = \frac{1}{9-4i} \Rightarrow[/tex]
    [tex]A = \sqrt{\frac{1}{9-4i}} \Rightarrow[/tex]

Part b):
    For this part I'm a bit confused (thus the posting). I'm not sure what they mean when they talk about measuring [tex]S_{a}[/tex] on the electron. Are they just saying, if you measured the z-component of the spin of the electron? And if so would I have something like:

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1-2i \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1-2i \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And where do I go from there? And as far as the probabilities I may be able to get that if I know the normalization constant. And I think I can get the expectation value from the normalization constant as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    Any thoughts on normalizing this? I tried another way and got [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex] and another way and I got [tex]\frac{16\hbar - 2\hbar i}{18}[/tex]. And neither of those seem to work. I thought that 1/3 would work; but when I try to find the expectation value I get [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{13}{3}[/tex].

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Ok, I have from my teacher that [tex]A = \frac{1}{3}[/tex], and that [tex]\left\langle S_{x}\right\rangle = \frac{2\hbar}{9}[/tex].

I can normalize it and get [tex]A = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]; but I can't get the correct expectation value. Here is what I am doing:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = A^{2}\frac{h}{2}[(1+2i), 2]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i) \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{h}{2}[(1+2i), 2][2 + (1-2i)] \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{h}{2}(2 + 4i + 4 + 1 + 4 + 2 -4i) = \frac{13\hbar }{18}[/tex]

So what am I doing wrong? I try including the the constants during the calculations and it comes out the same:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{(1+2i)}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 & \frac{h}{2} \\ \frac{h}{2} & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i)/3 \\ 2/3 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{2}\begin{pmatrix} \frac{(1+2i)}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \frac{2}{3} & \frac{(1-2i)}{3} \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{2}\frac{(2 + 4i + 4 + 1 + 4 + 2 -4i)}{18} = \frac{13\hbar }{18}[/tex]

So, it still doesn't work. Any thoughts?

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4
    A matrix times a vector is a vector, so you want:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = A^{2}\frac{\hbar}{2}[(1+2i), 2]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i) \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{\hbar}{2}[(1+2i), 2][2, (1-2i)] \Rightarrow[/tex]

Now take the dot product of the two vectors:

[tex]A^{2}\frac{\hbar}{2}(2 + 4i + 2 - 4i) = \frac{2\hbar }{9}[/tex]

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    Ah... Ok. Great! Thanks 2Tesla. That helps a lot. That makes sense now. Ok, I can see why I wasn't getting it. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?