Electron Spin State and Values

In summary, an electron is in the spin state and has a constant A. If you measured the z-component of the spin of the electron, you would get: \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} and the probability of each is given by: \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1-2i \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}. The expectation value of S_{z} is: \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[ \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}
Rahmuss
[SOLVED] Electron Spin State and Values

Homework Statement

An electron is in the spin state:

[tex]X = A\begin{pmatrix} 1-2i \\ 2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

(a) Determine the constant A by normalizing [tex]X[/tex]

(b) If you measured [tex]S_{z}[/tex] on this electron, what values could you get, and what is the probability of each? What is the expectation value of [tex]S_{z}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

[tex]S_{z} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\left\langle S_{z}\right\rangle = \left\langle X | S_{z}X\right\rangle[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a):
[tex]A^{2}\left[ |1-2i|^{2} + |2|^{2}\right] = 1 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]A^{2}\left[ 1-4i+4+4\right] = 1 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]A^{2}\left[ 9-4i\right] = 1 \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]A^{2} = \frac{1}{9-4i} \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]A = \sqrt{\frac{1}{9-4i}} \Rightarrow[/tex]

Part b):
For this part I'm a bit confused (thus the posting). I'm not sure what they mean when they talk about measuring [tex]S_{a}[/tex] on the electron. Are they just saying, if you measured the z-component of the spin of the electron? And if so would I have something like:

[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1-2i \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix} 1-2i \\ -2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

And where do I go from there? And as far as the probabilities I may be able to get that if I know the normalization constant. And I think I can get the expectation value from the normalization constant as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts on normalizing this? I tried another way and got [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex] and another way and I got [tex]\frac{16\hbar - 2\hbar i}{18}[/tex]. And neither of those seem to work. I thought that 1/3 would work; but when I try to find the expectation value I get [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2} \frac{13}{3}[/tex].

Ok, I have from my teacher that [tex]A = \frac{1}{3}[/tex], and that [tex]\left\langle S_{x}\right\rangle = \frac{2\hbar}{9}[/tex].

I can normalize it and get [tex]A = \frac{1}{3}[/tex]; but I can't get the correct expectation value. Here is what I am doing:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = A^{2}\frac{h}{2}[(1+2i), 2]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i) \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{h}{2}[(1+2i), 2][2 + (1-2i)] \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{h}{2}(2 + 4i + 4 + 1 + 4 + 2 -4i) = \frac{13\hbar }{18}[/tex]

So what am I doing wrong? I try including the the constants during the calculations and it comes out the same:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = \begin{pmatrix}\frac{(1+2i)}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} 0 & \frac{h}{2} \\ \frac{h}{2} & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i)/3 \\ 2/3 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{2}\begin{pmatrix} \frac{(1+2i)}{3} & \frac{2}{3} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} \frac{2}{3} & \frac{(1-2i)}{3} \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\frac{h}{2}\frac{(2 + 4i + 4 + 1 + 4 + 2 -4i)}{18} = \frac{13\hbar }{18}[/tex]

So, it still doesn't work. Any thoughts?

Rahmuss said:
Here is what I am doing:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = A^{2}\frac{h}{2}[(1+2i), 2]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i) \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{h}{2}[(1+2i), 2][2 + (1-2i)] \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{h}{2}(2 + 4i + 4 + 1 + 4 + 2 -4i) = \frac{13\hbar }{18}[/tex]

A matrix times a vector is a vector, so you want:

[tex]\left\langle X | S_{x}X\right\rangle = A^{2}\frac{\hbar}{2}[(1+2i), 2]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} (1-2i) \\ 2 \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]A^{2}\frac{\hbar}{2}[(1+2i), 2][2, (1-2i)] \Rightarrow[/tex]

Now take the dot product of the two vectors:

[tex]A^{2}\frac{\hbar}{2}(2 + 4i + 2 - 4i) = \frac{2\hbar }{9}[/tex]

Ah... Ok. Great! Thanks 2Tesla. That helps a lot. That makes sense now. Ok, I can see why I wasn't getting it. Thanks again.

What is electron spin state?

Electron spin state refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of an electron, which is a fundamental property of all subatomic particles. It is a quantum mechanical property that describes the orientation of an electron's spin in relation to an external magnetic field.

What are the possible values of electron spin state?

The possible values of electron spin state are +1/2 and -1/2. These values represent the two possible orientations of an electron's spin, which are referred to as "spin up" and "spin down" respectively.

How is electron spin state measured?

Electron spin state is measured using a technique called electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy. This involves applying a magnetic field to a sample of electrons and measuring the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation at a specific frequency, which is affected by the spin state of the electrons.

What is the significance of electron spin state?

The significance of electron spin state lies in its role in determining the magnetic and chemical properties of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in many important phenomena such as magnetism, superconductivity, and quantum computing.

Can electron spin state be changed?

Yes, electron spin state can be changed through various methods such as applying a magnetic field, interacting with other particles, or undergoing a specific type of nuclear reaction. However, the spin state of a single electron can never be altered, only the overall spin state of a system can be changed.