Electron velocity when beam is restored by a magnetic field.

In summary, the deflection of a beam of ions by an electric field of 500 volts between two plates 5cm apart is restored by a magnetic field of 0.2T, allowing the ions to continue in a straight line. To find the velocity of the ions, the forces of the electric and magnetic fields can be equated and solved for v. Care must be taken with notation to avoid confusion.
angelabean
A beam of ions is deflected by the electric field between two plates 5cm apart with a p.d. pf 500 volts. It is found that this deflection is restored by a magnetic field of o.2T so that the ions continue in a straight line.

What is their velocity (ions) ?

So far I am thinking:

upward force, F=qE E=v/d, 500V/ 5exp-2m = 1exp4 Vm^-1

Downward force F=mv^2/ r = Bev

F= mv^2/r^2

I have some idea of what I need to do but some clarification would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi angelabean & welcome to PF

I think you're pretty much there... if you assume the magentic field is applied along the same length as the electric field, then to restore the path, the magnetic force must exactly balance the electric force. So I would equate them & solve for v.

I would also be careful with your notation as you have used v for both potential difference & velocity. (I would use V for potential difference, as long as its not confused with the units) ;)

You don't need the circular motion equation (if that's what it is). The forces of the magnetic and electric fields are simply opposite each other, and equating will give you the answer.

What is the relationship between electron velocity and magnetic field?

The velocity of an electron in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field increases, the velocity of the electron also increases.

How does a magnetic field affect the trajectory of an electron beam?

When a magnetic field is applied to an electron beam, it causes the beam to curve and follow a circular path. This is known as the Lorentz force and is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric charge of the electron.

What happens to the electron velocity when the beam is restored by a magnetic field?

When the electron beam is restored by a magnetic field, the velocity of the electrons remains the same as it was before the beam was disrupted. This is known as the conservation of energy, where the energy of the electrons is maintained in the system.

Can the velocity of an electron in a magnetic field be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of an electron in a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field. By increasing or decreasing the magnetic field, the velocity of the electron can be manipulated.

What factors can affect the velocity of electrons in a magnetic field?

The velocity of electrons in a magnetic field can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the electron, and the angle at which the electron beam enters the magnetic field. Additionally, any external forces acting on the electron can also affect its velocity.