Electronics textbook recommendations to self-learn

In summary, a member of the group is starting an internship with Lockheed Martin and is looking for textbook recommendations on resolving issues with hydrophones/transducers. They mention being a rising senior in Aerospace Engineering with less electronic experience and express confidence in self-learning. Another member recommends "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, and the original poster expresses gratitude and mentions checking out other recommended books as well.
chadsalt
Hi all,

I am starting an internship with Lockheed Martin on Tuesday, May 26. I have just been notified of my duties, which will involve resolving issues with hydrophones/transducers. I am looking for recommendations of good textbooks that I could refer to during this internship. I am a rising senior in the Aerospace Engineering program at Virginia Tech, as an AE student I have less electronic experience than students in ME or EE (obviously). I am, however, very confident in my ability to self-learn and I really want to perform this summer as Lockheed Martin is a dream company for me. Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, and congrats on the Internship! :smile:

This is one of my favorite intro to electronics books -- if you have a technical library near you, you can take a look at it before you decide to buy it:

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521809266/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes chadsalt
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, and congrats on the Internship! :smile:

This is one of my favorite intro to electronics books -- if you have a technical library near you, you can take a look at it before you decide to buy it:

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521809266/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thank you! I will definitely check it out.

I'd checkout the series by Floyd as well as microelectronics by sedra and smith.

Likes chadsalt

1. What are the best textbooks for beginners to learn about electronics?

Some popular recommendations for beginners include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, and "Make: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery" by Charles Platt.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically for self-learning electronics?

Yes, there are many textbooks designed for self-learning electronics. Some examples include "Complete Electronics Self-Teaching Guide with Projects" by Earl Boysen and Harry Kybett, "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Stan Gibilisco, and "Electronics Demystified" by Stan Gibilisco.

3. Are there any textbooks that cover both analog and digital electronics?

Yes, there are several textbooks that cover both analog and digital electronics. Some popular options include "Learning the Art of Electronics" by Thomas C. Hayes and Paul Horowitz, "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, and "Digital Electronics" by Roger L. Tokheim.

4. Are there any textbooks that focus on a specific aspect of electronics, such as circuit design or microcontrollers?

Yes, there are many textbooks that focus on specific aspects of electronics. Some examples include "Practical Electronics: A Self-Teaching Guide" by John M. Hughes, which focuses on circuit design, and "Embedded C Programming and the Atmel AVR" by Richard H. Barnett, which focuses on microcontrollers.

5. Are there any online resources or video tutorials that can supplement a textbook for self-learning electronics?

Yes, there are many online resources and video tutorials that can supplement a textbook for self-learning electronics. Some popular options include Khan Academy's "Electronics and Circuit Analysis" course, SparkFun's "Tutorials" section, and the "Electronics" playlist on the YouTube channel Crash Course.