Electrons at Absolute Zero -- do they still move?

In summary, vanhees71 believes that electrons still move at absolute zero, but this is not correct because the electrons are in the ground state and stationary states do not describe moving particles.
Vectronix
TL;DR Summary
do they still move?
Can we all agree that electrons still move at absolute zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes

Yes, but it is quite likely that “electrons move” doesn’t mean what you’re thinking.

Likes curious_mind and Lord Jestocost
You mean like it doesn't mean a point particle moving at high speeds around the nucleus?

Vectronix said:
You mean like it doesn't mean a point particle moving at high speeds around the nucleus?
That’s right, it certainly does not mean a point particle moving at high speeds around the nucleus. If that were in fact an accurate model atoms would be unstable; this was one of the original motivations for developing quantum mechanics as an alternative model.

The “absolute zero” part of your question is a bit of a red herring here - velocity isn’t a very useful concept when thinking about bound electrons under any conditions. We have a bunch of threads about how to think of bound electrons in quantum mechanics, chances are someone here will be able to point you to some.

Edit: the “Suggested for” list of threads below has some good ones.

Last edited:
Likes Lord Jestocost
Vectronix said:
TL;DR Summary: do they still move?

Can we all agree that electrons still move at absolute zero?
No, since at ##T=0## the electrons are in the ground state, which is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, and eigenstates of the Hamiltonian describe stationary states. So nothing moves.

I liked #2 better :wink:

Then, how can an energy eigenstate describe a moving particle? It's a stationary state!

Likes BvU
vanhees71 said:
Then, how can an energy eigenstate describe a moving particle? It's a stationary state!
But ##\braket{p^2} \neq 0##. I guess it comes down to what "moving" means :smile:

Likes Vanadium 50, gentzen and vanhees71
These are quantum fluctuations, in this case "zero-point fluctuations", not motion.

Likes BvU and Lord Jestocost
DrClaude said:
But ##\braket{p^2} \neq 0##. I guess it comes down to what "moving" means :smile:
vanhees71 said:
These are quantum fluctuations, in this case "zero-point fluctuations", not motion.
Moment without movement. Just like in Bohmian mechanics. Since nearly all physicists agree that this is a shortcoming of Bohmian mechanics, my guess would be that vanhees71 is wrong in this specific case. I just can't believe that Bohmian mechanics should be right in this respect. It will often be the ground state of an harmonic oscillator, and of course oscillate is what it will do.

OK this thread seems to have run way past OP's question.... Which was kinda sorta OK because it does demonstrate the extent to which the answer depends on how we define "moving" in the absence of the classical intuitive definition. But we're at the point of diminishing returns now, so I am closingthe thread.

As with all such thread closures, we can reopen it if there is more to say in response to the original question - just PM me or another mentor.

Likes BvU

1. Do electrons completely stop moving at absolute zero?

No, electrons do not completely stop moving at absolute zero. According to the laws of quantum mechanics, electrons will always have a certain amount of energy and therefore will continue to move.

2. How does the movement of electrons change at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, the movement of electrons becomes minimal. They will still have some residual energy and may exhibit small vibrations or oscillations, but their movement will be significantly reduced.

3. Can electrons reach absolute zero?

No, it is impossible for electrons to reach absolute zero. This is because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and velocity of a particle at the same time. Therefore, electrons will always have some residual energy and cannot be completely at rest.

4. How does the movement of electrons affect the properties of matter at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, the movement of electrons has a significant impact on the properties of matter. For example, the resistance of a material decreases as the movement of electrons decreases, making it a superconductor. In addition, the magnetic properties of a material also change at absolute zero due to the alignment of electron spins.

5. Is there any practical use for studying electrons at absolute zero?

Yes, studying electrons at absolute zero has many practical applications. For example, it can help us understand and develop new materials with unique properties, such as superconductors. It also has implications for technologies such as quantum computing, where the behavior of electrons at extremely low temperatures is crucial.